Black Birch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BURNSOFTEN

Dec 23, 2010
Fairfield Cnty - CT
Hello All,
85% of the trees on my property are Black Birch, any suggestions before I start processing for firewood....just bought the house so this is new land for me...

Anybody with knowledge of the stuff? I did some research here and know its "good BTU wood"

Due to timing and date of house purchase I've been burning standing dead trees and fallen rotten trees.....not the best stuff but its free and ample

thanks for the info

You don't wanna burn that stuff. The bark gives off noxious fumes. Since we're into the season though, and I'd hate for your family to be cold, I'll trade you out some nice Aspen for that junky birch you got there. :coolsmile:

Black Birch kicks ass!!! Burns a little fast but not too bad; throws great heat and smells like Wintergreen when being split. I love it....

Great firewood, just don't let any trees sit on the ground for long as birch rots very fast on the ground.

yeah, and its fun to chew on the twigs for the wintergreen flavor :)

Very good wood, just make sure you split it right away. When left in log form, it will fungi and rot PDQ

+1 with the others - very good, dense wood for a birch. I think it is a little higher than yellow for BTU's. It will treat you well! Cheers!

I have been burning mostly black birch for two winters now and I like it. I find it to season well, only one year with good air and sun, splits easy, tends to make coals more than oak, and its a cleaner wood too. This is because of the bark is thin compared to a heavy bark like oak. This helps keep my house cleaner with less dirt coming in on the wood.

Try it you will like it.

Mike_C said:
I have been burning mostly black birch for two winters now and I like it. I find it to season well, only one year with good air and sun, splits easy, tends to make coals more than oak, and its a cleaner wood too. This is because of the bark is thin compared to a heavy bark like oak. This helps keep my house cleaner with less dirt coming in on the wood.

Try it you will like it.

More coals than oak? I haven't found this to be the case yet. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.