Black / Blue Smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostromo

Sep 20, 2010
Seattle WA
Hey guys I'm a little nervous.

I just got my Avalon Olympic installed this morning and it looks beautiful!

However, I have fired it up--got it up to temp (i think) and have dampered it down (closed by pass) and am in the "first burn" mode to get set the paint etc...so fumes are coming off which is normal / expected.

However, I notice out of my chimney there is quite a bit of black/blue smoke coming out...the installer guy said the first burn will get all these oils and finishes burning off so i will see some smoke...is this really normal?

I guess my question is: DOes a first burn usually always yield a good amount of black/blue smoke...I'm guessing I have been burning for a good 2 hours now....tops, maybe hour and a half and the stove is putting out a good amount of heat.

Nervous newbie needs help, thanks!

As long as there are no foreign objects in the fire box, I've seen
initial burn-offs take up to 4-6 hours. Generally speaking, tho, the
smoke in the house is generally done after the first hour.
You may still get smells but no smoke.
If you've got new connector & chimney components, they
may ALSO have to cure...

It's normal. Give it some time it will clear up, if not call them again.

Black smoke = failed ballot. Try again.

Ok, its been 4-5 hours in on the burn and it is finally clearing up.

Thanks all for your help...i perhaps might have not got might stove up to temp as well but i am not sure. I cranked it up really high (tons of air flow) to get it going good and just kept it going like that for a solid hour...then dampered it back down.

Thanks guys for your help!

Hopefully these pesky fumes go away soon...

You should be good to go now. The next firing should have a lot less fumes and the flue should show no smoke once the stove is up to temperature.

With outdoor temps at 65 °F it must be mighty toasty in there.

Hehe ya it is pretty toasty in the house...

it got to 68 degrees here...i bet my neighbors were wondering why the hell i was burning wood :)

I just got my liner installed today, what fun. I noticed the whole thing is coated with an oil probably to prevent rust or from the manufacturing. I can imagine it will be smoking a bit until all the oil burns off not to mention the amount of paint all over the firebrick in the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.