Black bubbling liquid??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If your a poor mountaineer barely keeping your family fed, then I think your in for a achange of lifestyle.

In all honesty, I have no idea what it is except maybe creosote.

I pulled the splits back that were close to that side, and the ooze stopped. maybe th heat was too concentrated in that area for the first fire, maybe some sort of sealant burnoff??

It is normal extra furnace cement not a big deal most of them do it.

not melting it may do it a couple more times as you get it hot and break it in if it is a matte black the paint smell may last for a bit to. good luck it is a great stove had the same one.

Mine did the same thing.

Only took a couple of fires to quit.

However if you are breaking in that stove inside, be prepared. It makes a lot of smoke.

Get the fans ready.

I did mine outside and was impressed by how much smoke came off the stove. I did three hot fires after the break-in's to burn off most of the paint. However it still took about for or five more till it finally stopped stinking.

After that it is great, of course, except for the sticky air control.

I'm sure you will come to love it.

It really is a good stove.

J.P.

Have you checked the air controll area for excess furnace cement build up? it tends to fill up around the bolt and can make it stick there have been some firelights that were sticky i have only seen one oslo with the same problem not related to furnace cement but the are working an a new air lever to stop it completly

stoveguy13 said:
Have you checked the air controll area for excess furnace cement build up? it tends to fill up around the bolt and can make it stick there have been some firelights that were sticky i have only seen one oslo with the same problem not related to furnace cement but the are working an a new air lever to stop it completly

I took the whole assembly apart a couple of weeks ago when it was warm.

Added some graphite as others have suggested. It worked well for about 5 days.

Pretty much hangs up at half way.

I have to push it all the way to the right(full open) then quickly slide closed to the left. Too slow and it will hang up.

My dealer gave me a new plate but it was the same as the old one. Some have posted that a new lever is available. I will check into it when the weather warms up again.

Don't mean to hijack the thread.

Thanks for the ideas stoveguy13.

J.P.

Thanks for all the replies. This is the first fire, and the smell was not really that bad from the burn off. It is the blue black enamel, not the matte black paint, so hopefully the stink won't get any worse. I had heard that the enamel does not give off hardly any smoke/smell. Had it aroung 220 for 1.5 - 2 hrs, the oozing did stop. Cant wait to get it really cranked up on Sunday night.

The enamel stoves don't smoke too much. There will be a bit more, but tolerable. By the time you are done with the breakin burns, it should be fine. Note, you can do more than one break in burn in a day, just let the stove cool down to about room temp in between.

I had the oozing flux too, it happened once, maybe twice when doing breakin fires, then gone.....nada.....no more.

No nasty odor either when I fired mine up, and I have the blue black enamel too.

Had that puppy up to 700 degrees this morning, the shut the air off, and I can tell you it cranks the heat.

Had that puppy up to 700 degrees this morning, the shut the air off, and I can tell you it cranks the heat.

Sigh, oh for some nice eastern hardwood.

BeGreen, I'd ship some to ya if it wasn't so cost prohibitive!

I burn oak, cherry, locust, hickory, elm, boxelder, maple, sycamore, cedar, and ash :)

Status
Not open for further replies.