Black Cherry Gelatin?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CenterTree

Minister of Fire
Sep 15, 2008
SouthWest-Central PA
So I have noticed a strange occurrence happening with several of the wild Black Cherry trees on our lot.

The trunks are riddled with many holes that ooze the sticky, jello like substance.

The jelly actually accumulates in large quantities at the base of the tree.

;?

Anyone?

DSCN8631.JPG DSCN8632.JPG DSCN8630.JPG

Are these tree destined for firewood or is it just a seasonal thing?

Reactions: Applesister
My 12 acres is loaded with black cherry and I have never ever seen anything of the sort? Any issues with beetles or some other wood boring bugs on other trees in the area??? Very weird looking indeed!!!! Doesn't look seasonal what ever it is!

Looks like it's the case of the "Peachtree Borer". Great article 1kz.
Actually from the article given, it seems to NOT be PeachTree Borer since the bleeding (gummosis) is high up on the trunk as well as down low.
Whereas PeachTree borer will only cause bleeding near the bottom root crown. (from the article).

So, I will still search for the cause.

Worse-case scenario is that I will have lots of firewood coming up soon I believe. (if indeed the tree is doomed)

A couple of years ago during fall hunting season I saw a similar thing on several Black Cherries in Somerset County, PA. I haven't seen it before or since and I must have walked past 10,000s of Black Cherries in late fall. Rare and weird to see.

I'd make a call to my county extension office chop chop.

Actually from the article given, it seems to NOT be PeachTree Borer since the bleeding (gummosis) is high up on the trunk as well as down low.
Whereas PeachTree borer will only cause bleeding near the bottom root crown. (from the article).

So, I will still search for the cause.

Worse-case scenario is that I will have lots of firewood coming up soon I believe. (if indeed the tree is doomed)

How high up is the bleeding? The small holes are indication that something is eating its way into the tree.

How high up is the bleeding? The small holes are indication that something is eating its way into the tree.
Went out today to look up at the Cherries.

The goo is coming out as high up as maybe 25 feet.

I have large (24" dia) trees with this problem and also found many small ( 5" dia) trees with it. :confused:

Maybe I will search a more "Tree specific" forum to see what I can learn. I fear these Cherries will be dead by Spring.

Reactions: Applesister
Went out today to look up at the Cherries.

The goo is coming out as high up as maybe 25 feet.

I have large (24" dia) trees with this problem and also found many small ( 5" dia) trees with it. :confused:

Maybe I will search a more "Tree specific" forum to see what I can learn. I fear these Cherries will be dead by Spring.

It has to be an infestation of some sort. Holes don't just magically appear in trees. If they're not man made, then I would have to say it is definitely a bug. Felling them now may slow the process and make them still useable come spring, but I'm not sure..

Reactions: CenterTree
Im in NY and have Black cherry trees with the exact condition. None of my "infected" trees have died. They have exhibited gumming several years out now. Actually there is no foliage drop off over the 2-3 year period, meaning in my opinion, nothing in the vascular system has been compromised.
I contacted my county extension agent to do soil samples and she said the tree's defense is to exude the gum in an attempt to block invasion by pathogens and bugs.
She explained 'what' my trees were doing but not what caused it. I have no idea, in my situation I would be inclined to believe it may be exposure to temperature fluctuations causing cracks between the bark. And my trees have oozed gum to the extent of what is photographed in the above pics, puddling around the base of the trees.
They may be stressed by low soil pH. The soil was tested at 5.3 pH which is not ideal for prunus(stonefruit genus).
I havent cut any of my cherries exhibiting this gummosis to see what damage if any has entered the tree's defenses.
You may want to cut a small tree to see if there is any systemic damage but I just wait to see if the tree leafs out.
If it produces a crown it gets to live another year. :)

Reactions: CenterTree
I will follow this thread, my county agent didnt offer a cause. My Black cherry looks exactly like the pics posted. The gum kind of washes away after a while.

I can post some pics of my trees. They don't look too good bark wise but they aren't dying either.
They were all hedgerow trees but are now yard trees, meaning that low brush was cut out and back to just expose the cherry and give it room to grow.
It may be like sunscald on Norway maples. Thin bark where inner bark is exposed.

If the OP takes a clear gum and pulls it away and cuts with a sharp knife below the outer bark flakes he probably wont find anything.
At least not anything visible. The gum is exuding from between and below the outer bark cracks.
My extension agent says if the gum is clear, there is no bacteria or fungus present. The amber color indicates some type of infection. Not that that information has helpful information in it, just thought I'd pass it on.

Reactions: 1kzwoman
I wonder how that would be with peanut butter on a sandwich?

Jurassic Park! All you need now is a mosquito.

d r

My black cherry trees gum up like that, sort of. Not so bad that it puddles around the tree, and it's more of a dark brown color. It will do so if the local woodpeckers get on the tree and start boring holes looking for bugs. Also, if there is any sort of wound, even a scrape on the bark from falling a nearby tree, they will gum up and ooze.

Does not appear to ever hurt the tree, all of mine appear healthy. Ugly though.

This was the most interesting thread of my day. I have never seen that and we have hundreds of black cherry trees. I am interested to hear if you find out what is causing it.

It's called Gummosis but I don't think I've seen it in this area or the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.