Black Cherry!!! Great CL score today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thistle

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2010
Central IA
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/zip/2979993348.html Normally I dont respond if there's no pics,but I took a gamble & it paid off for once! ::-)

Seen this CL ad this morning about 7AM,I check every couple days normally.Not much on there lately - some old soft dead Elm last weekend,a bit of larger nice Silver Maple (was already gone when I called 30 min after ad was listed) & the usual morons wanting large trees over houses & powerlines taken down for free plus brush removal :rolleyes:

So this was a great one for once.I can get all the Oak/Hickory I want,Mulberry,Silver Maple are very plentiful around here too.But Black Cherry is scattered mostly in rural areas & rarely seen much over 12" unless in hard to reach protected spot.Even Black Walnut is easier to get.This was in town,near city limits not far from airport.The main trunk was at least 28" & it had 2 stems up from main trunk. Biggest Cherry I seen or milled since late 1998 when I dropped a storm-damaged one that was in friend's of parents backyard north of town

This is about 1/2 what I got,diameter from 15" to 20".Will be milled into slabs & blocks for later woodturning,a bench seat or two,a new cutting board for me eventually & some will be sold on Ebay/CL.Also grabbed a wheelbarrow worth of smaller 4-7" branches,that'll be for the smoker in a few weeks or months.

Oh.... and the whole backyard (small as it is) smells wonderful ;)

Attachments

• PICT0025.JPG
    PICT0025.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 183
  • PICT0021.JPG
    PICT0021.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 196
Thistle, you are a workaholic! And that is some fine cherry wood too.

Nice score. Hands down, one of my favorite woods to work with for carving and turning. I like the pieces that sit for a year in my stacks and develop and deep color. They grow like weeds around here. I like the burls especially.

I love that black cherry when it's simmerin on the fire. Great score Thistle!

Very nice score. That should burn nicely. Enjoy the fruits of your hard work.

Status
Not open for further replies.