1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

black class A chimney?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by stovepipe?, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stovepipe?

stovepipe? New Member

is there such a thing? Any reason the SS stuff can't be painted with black stove paint? purely out of aesthetic concerns.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Not stove pipe, but I painted the new stainless flashing on the front of the house. It looked like the house had a set of braces on it before I painted it black. I used a Rustoleum satin black metal paint. So far after 4 months, the paint is holding up well. I would think stove paint would work. Use coarse steel wool on the surface first to add tooth.
  3. cbrodsky

cbrodsky Member

Loc:
    Millbrook, NY
    Our class A install was a little unconventional due to access issues in the chase; ended up with a stub coming through the ceiling with the transition to stovepipe. Painted it with flat black stove paint and no problems - looks great!

-Colin
  4. pjmac

pjmac New Member

Loc:
    Coshocton, Ohio
    I painted my SS flue pipe with Rutland black high temperature paint last year and it still looks fine today. My pipe is on a Harman XXV pellet stove so the temperatures are not as high as a regular wood stove.
  5. hearthtools

hearthtools Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Oakhurst, California, USA, Earth
  6. DriftWood

DriftWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bluewater Area, Great Lakes
    Black painted stainless steel radiates heat better than the same plain clean stainless steel metal.

“Physicists calculate how much light a perfectly emitting object would give off at a given temperature, and then they multiply that by a number between 0 and 1. objects that are black at room temperature are close to 1, objects that are shiny or white are close to 0.
    That’s because to conserve energy, the best absorbers (those looking black) have to be the best emitters."{*}
    {*}Anton Smirnov

See this thread > http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/3142/
  7. Metal

Metal Minister of Fire

Class "A" can definately be painted or you can usually get a trim sleeve to cover it if you don't want the mess of field painting. You can usually get Class "A" with either a Stainless Steel Casing or Galvanized/Aluminized Casing, so get the latter if you want to paint it as it takes paint better and is cheaper.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.