Black fuzz or stage 1 build up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JrCRXHF

Burning Hunk
Apr 28, 2008
Mid, Michigan
I have a harmon SF-260 coal/wood boiler. I get about a half of a quart of black fuzz every year when i sweep. The chimney is a triple wall stainless liner in a older gas flue. I also poured insulation around the pipe to keep as much heat in as possible. I get black flake build up on the screen on the top but nothing towards the boiler from there.

I burn 375-450F a night with seasoned wood 18-23%. Most days i turn off the heat on the house when i go to work and then fire the boiler up when i get home and burn 50-125lbs of wood a night to bring the temp back up. I do this so the boiler will get as much wide open burn time as possible.

I don't have room in the boiler room for storage(i only wish i did) is there anything else that i am missing to keep the flue pipe hotter other then burn the boiler hotter. I think when i do go to bed that by 2:00-3:00am the boiler is back to cycling and this might be where i am getting my build up from.

the little spot where there is no insulation on the lower exhaust part is where i take the temps from with a Fluke IR.
IMG_20120121_085524.jpg

IMG_20120103_185732.jpg

It's that's a pint of creosote per year total, keep doing what you are doing.

That's excellent in my book.

pen

+1 on that. With my old unit I sometimes filled a 5 gallon foundation coating bucket with a full chimney (30 ft.) & smoke pipe cleaning. I swept 3 times a year.

Ok i will keep going. The only down side of the metal roof i have on my house is i can not get on the roof to clean out the chimney in the winter. So that is why i worry maybe a little more then i should.

A new metal roof on my house two years ago was the final thing that pushed me into dropping the hammer on a gassifier. I had one very close call the first time I swept on the metal two stories up - that stuff is scary slippery even with just a couple drops of water on it.

Yeah i only wish i could get a gasifier. Not much point seeing this one is paid for and was really cheap. If i could have even 1000 gallons of storage it would be different i even thought i would try to figure out a way to sweep from the bottom up but i have not really figured anything out yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.