Black glass and the solution

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfox103

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2011
Littleton, NH
I have two Harman stoves, a P68 and a P38. The P68 is the primary and the P38 heats a back corner of the house when needed. I keep them clean and up to stuff.

On the P38 I noticed the glass was getting black. It completely blocked you from seeing the flame. It covered about 3/4 of the glass. I cleaned it twice thoroughly within the last 10 days--no change. I also noticed that I could see a little bit of smoke swirling on the inside. I knew something still wasn't right. I cleaned the probe and checked the cleanout, which had next to nothing in it. Still no change. The vent pipe is very short, less than 3 feet as it goes straight out. The stove is on the first floor, but property drops down, so it is actually up one level.

I looked outside the vent is puffing looking normal.

I decided I'll go out and take a look. As soon as I looked at the end cone, I saw the problem. On the end cone there is screen with 1 inch cells. It was plugged just on the screen. Probably with the moisture and ash, it just plugged up. I'm guessing 3/4 of the area was shut off. I got an old tooth brush and cleaned it. Problem solved, no more black glass.

I thought about cutting that screen out, but I guess it keeps birds and squirrels out.

Tom C.

Suppose you could replace with a coarser screen. Shouldn't take much to keep the animals out. Cover in the summer to keep the nest builders out.

Suppose you could replace with a coarser screen. Shouldn't take much to keep the animals out. Cover in the summer to keep the nest builders out.

I probably could do that, but I think I'll just put it on the cleaning regiment. Plus, I park the cars right in that area, so I can keep a eye on it.

Tom C.

Yup. The screen clogs up quick. I took mine right off. No birds are going to go into the venting during the winter when the stove is running. And I got a pipe cap that fits snug to use during the summer to plug it up. No use for the screen any more.

I think I'll leave mine on and just keep an eye on it. If I took the screen off, birds may try to find a home on the beginning and end of the burning season.

Tom C.

Take screen off. Purchase a fake OWL and hang It from a string so It swings In the breeze. Problem Solved

Thanks Jim

I hadn't thought of that. I have 2 stoves, do you think I need 2 owls?

Tom

the screen will stop birds but not bees or wasp/hornet type things...and I see a whole lot more of those than birds in vents. I suggest placing some tinfoil over the vent in the off season, with a rubber band, and then write yourself a note that says "tinfoil on vent cap" and place that in the stove so you rememeber to remove it next heating season.

Reactions: jgrz0610
I will definitely be covering the vent this off season. Now that you mention it, I always have those mud wasp build nests real close to the vents.

thanks

Tom

lowes and home depot carry a 3" and 4" fernco cap.fits right over the pipe .comes with a clamp.easy peasy.

lowes and home depot carry a 3" and 4" fernco cap.fits right over the pipe .comes with a clamp.easy peasy.

I like easy.

thanks

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.