black gooey substance in my stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
i have harman accentra and i have black wet gooey substance in my stove in the burn pot.... i am sure its creosote but how/ why
i have been running stove nonstop for about a week now
i scraped the burn pot to find that i had maybe a .25 of deposit built up in the stove but after scraping it it burned! also the heat deflector on top of the burn pot had the same stuff as well just not as thick... it was a real bit.. to scrape off
my feed was /is always between 3-4 is my feed to high?
ps for those harman owners out there i was using that scrape thing they gave and it do well at all i ended up using a chisel!
I have been ruuning the stove on stove temp then to room temp at night could this be the problem?
when i run room temp it always seems to idle alot or turn itself off and on unless its 20 or belowthen it runs more

I'm not a Harmon dealer but it sounds like you have an air leak some where. Check your exhaust blower, door & window gaskets & ashpan gasket. I know that Harman pots clinker up over time but what your explaining sounds excessive.

I second Shane assesment air leak look at the gaskets door latch dollar bill test

how do i do a dollar bill test with an accentra
i have tried around the glass an its ok

well i did take a dollar bill and put it in diff places close the door and try to pull it out and the gasket seems to be tight
because i could not pull the dollar out

sounds like you burnt something plastic and it dripped down to the ash pan where it wasn't hot enough to continue burning it off. Did you get a lot of credit card junk mail all on one day?!?!!? :)

Yes Iceman call the dealer you got an issue.

But on a side note is your hopper closed good? Gasket good?
The slide plate access cover tight? Gasket good?

How long has your stove been burning low since the last cleaning?

hello, Ice....
Harman dealer here as well. PM me and I'll give you a few ideas to check.......Shane and Elk both gave good advice, tho they are barking up the wrong tree on this one....Ive seen this before.

Status
Not open for further replies.