Black knot fruit tree real bad cut down, can I save firewood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
Been here one year , in this old money pit place....so much to take care....was going to use a smiley face but dont see a "SAD "one well I guess "down" means "sad"
well anyway...
Fruit tree has black knot real bad.....I think it is a plum??? I smelled apricot when I smelled one of the limbs.....Former owners dead so cant ask anyone>..
Was hoping to save the tree... finally realized it had to go mostly,( SO SAD..... ):( too cause it is OR was about 8 feet in front of one of the apples... The branches were into each other too..
Reluctantely ,( SO SAD,):( I asked , So Hubby cut down yesterday. I am going to burn the smaller stuff..... I need to drag it all away from the apple trees behind it. It has been raining off and on for over a day. I read it can spread easily....
How far to drag it away till can cut up the larger pieces??? and to store the larger pieces so they can be , cut up and split.. How far from the apple trees??
I had a beatiful plum good eating one I planted years ago.... In former home.... WE cut it down....reluctantely, there too. I prob did not spray it enough either.....
WELL what Yall think ??????
Thanks all
Jean

To be safe, 100' minimum. I'd go further, like 200' minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.