Black locust beats oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gark

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Red oak, at least. First time burning BL and it is still glowing with blue flame long after the red oak same size splits have gone. Next burn season is lookin' good with 2 cord of BL and it will be interesting how BL compares to the white oak scheduled for 2013/14. Good stuff for sure.

For me its about the same as my burr oak, its rated higher but in the real world for me I can not tell much of a difference, I get the blue flames off of the burr oak.

Not surprising since Red/Black Oak is around 44lbs/cubic foot,White/Bur Oak 47-50 & BL 50-53.

I finally scored some BL from the snow storm when I was in western Mass, only have enough for maybe a week and it will have to be next year.

I agree on the locust. Great stuff. Ranks right up there with the best.

OOhhh gigity!! I've got 2 cord of h/l and 1/2 cord of b/l that will be ready next year... Cant wait!!

IMO BL beats any oak hands down. Easily burn BL in one year, possibly burn oak in two, if your lucky.

Good stuff thats for sure, we mostly burn Oak---- My wife who knows nothing about wood calles it B L ---that wood that burns real Hot

I may be the only one to disagree..... I burned a bunch of it last year and still have some left over to burn this year. It does not produce the same heat as oak. I've found nothing yet that competes with good aged oak. Oak makes a dramatic difference in the heat it puts out. All wood burns and makes blue flames..... but how much heat do you feel coming off the stove. Oak will run you out!

I put BL below Cherry, ASH, Mulberry, in my likes.

I don't turn it down though - since the storms gave me a ton of it! I'll be burning it again next year too!

basswidow said:
I may be the only one to disagree..... I burned a bunch of it last year and still have some left over to burn this year. It does not produce the same heat as oak. I've found nothing yet that competes with good aged oak. Oak makes a dramatic difference in the heat it puts out. All wood burns and makes blue flames..... but how much heat do you feel coming off the stove. Oak will run you out!

I put BL below Cherry, ASH, Mulberry, in my likes.

I don't turn it down though - since the storms gave me a ton of it! I'll be burning it again next year too!

That'll be interesting to see next year when I burn the BL, I agree with you on oak, last year I had 4 cords of nicely seasoned oak and this year Im burning mostly birch, ash and cherry and I notice a huge difference from last years oak. Im all set for 2012-13 and 2013-14 for oak but I have very little oak for this year and Im saving it for Jan-Feb.

The next 5 1/2 cords I burn will be 99% Black Locust. I'll get to Red Oak in February 2013 or so.

Here in northern Ky, black locust is very common. This year, 50% of what I'm burning is black locust.
If it's dry/seasoned, it's hard to beat. Got some small chunks burning now. Outside temp is 39 degrees.
Inside temp is 73. Seasoned white & black oak are excellent as well. I don't burn them very often.
The oaks I tend to get are pin, scarlet & red. For ease of splitting & heating, black locust gives you the
More bang for your buck!

This winter will be my first time burning black locust. This thread has me excited about burning it! I burn mostly red oak and have been very happy with it so I'm eager to see if locust is even better!

If it's good & dry, you'll love it! The only drawback is that it doesn't have the aroma like cherry or
Hickory wnen it burns. The heat that it produces more than makes up for it!

I've got some BL to try this season. First batch I probably split a little smaller than I needed to. I've been getting more of it recently and some of it's ready to go, so I'll have some bigger splits and rounds. Can't wait to try it out once the cold weather hits! I've also got some Black Oak to compare it to... :)

I can only put a few splits of Black Locust in at a time to much heat. I think it blows oak out of the water. I treat it like a little goes a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.