Black Locust for Deck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakeside

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
Mike's World
I am sure this topic is not exactly appropriate for this forum but I thought maybe some of you might have some input or would this would be of interest to you also, so here goes.

I have just begun the task of determine what materials I want to use to replace my deck. Interestingly enough my research has lead my to one of my favorite firewood's Black Locust.

The goal is to replace my "Deck from Hell" with a material that will not require a lot of maintenance and not put a dent in my 4O1 K either.

So far some of the Pro's of BL are -
Rot resistant
Sustainable ( this can be procured locally in NY and Mass)
Long lasting ( this stuff should last well over 50 years)
Hard, strong, close-grained and very durable ( Janka hardness 1700 - 2000 harder than white oak)
Disposal ( it does not have any chemicals , all scrapes will find a home in my stove)
Maintenance free

Some of the Con's are -
Needs attention to proper drying other wise material will be difficult to fabricate
Drys to a grey color , this is fine with me but maybe a concern for some
High scrape rate - in order to get good deck boards
Large long boards are not available due to the size and shape of the trees, deck layout needs to address this.

So any of you fellow Black Locust fans have any experience building with this material ?

Any pointers to add to my lists ?

Moderate feel free to move this topic.

I know around here some of the first houses used black locust logs in the foundations and the farmers used to use it for fence posts.

Keep in mind you will have to stain/seal that at least twice a year because the grain is so tight. We are in the same boat and thought it would be cool to use tiger wood, but after more research it turned out to be not so great of an idea.

My biggest concern would be splinters.

I have used 1x6 locust before for construction (stall walls in heavy traffic kicking area, etc). Once dried for a year they are a nightmare to drive screws through. I got the boards for free so I used them instead of oak. Boards cut easy enough. Tend not to cup. When cured they are a dark grey. The boards I got were 10-16 foot lengths and are heavier than you'd think. If your looking for rustic and don't mind per drilling screws it's an interesting choice. Good luck

I think it's a great idea but have not seen it done. Several local mills work with the stuff because it is so abundant around here.
Splinters might be a more serious issue with BL compared with other woods so plan on a good sanding.
The length and size of the planks should be a consideration too. I know how large the trees can get but they are not typically straight or round so id think the milled planks would generally be shorter and narrower than other options. Using a varied width of planks might save on cost and look really cool.

Keep us posted on the project. I'd like to know what you decide and how it works out.

Reactions: Lakeside
You might have to round the edges of the boards. Locust gives you a nasty splinter.
weathering seems to bring out splits and then splintering again. Great firewood though.

Keep in mind you will have to stain/seal that at least twice a year because the grain is so tight. We are in the same boat and thought it would be cool to use tiger wood, but after more research it turned out to be not so great of an idea.

What happens if grain is tight that it needs to be conditioned so often?

From what I read is that the grain is so tight it will not absorb the stain/sealer.

+1 on the BL splinter thing. I thought it was just me. For a while, my definition of a hard/soft wood was that if you could pull it out it was a softwood. If it made more sense to push it through, it was a hardwood.

Reactions: 711mhw
I'm close friends with a couple people who recently started a ski company. They use Black Locust for their sidewalls and as part of the cores of their skis. They need the wood to be as straight and consistently grained as possible for this application. If you're interested I can get in touch with him and see where they source their BL lumber from. They start with boards and mill/plane all their cores in house, so this guy also has a lot of experience working with the stuff.

I am sure this topic is not exactly appropriate for this forum but I thought maybe some of you might have some input or would this would be of interest to you also, so here goes.

I have just begun the task of determine what materials I want to use to replace my deck. Interestingly enough my research has lead my to one of my favorite firewood's Black Locust.

The goal is to replace my "Deck from Hell" with a material that will not require a lot of maintenance and not put a dent in my 4O1 K either.

So far some of the Pro's of BL are -
Rot resistant
Sustainable ( this can be procured locally in NY and Mass)
Long lasting ( this stuff should last well over 50 years)
Hard, strong, close-grained and very durable ( Janka hardness 1700 - 2000 harder than white oak)
Disposal ( it does not have any chemicals , all scrapes will find a home in my stove)
Maintenance free

Some of the Con's are -
Needs attention to proper drying other wise material will be difficult to fabricate
Drys to a grey color , this is fine with me but maybe a concern for some
High scrape rate - in order to get good deck boards
Large long boards are not available due to the size and shape of the trees, deck layout needs to address this.

So any of you fellow Black Locust fans have any experience building with this material ?

Any pointers to add to my lists ?

Moderate feel free to move this topic.

Of course it has chemicals, just not man introduced ones, which is why it doesn't rot. Seeds and leaves are toxic to livestock and humans (sometimes fatal) saw dust can cause problems.

Where I am in NY, a deck is an assessable item, whereas a stone patio is not.

... an old saying... "a locust post will last a year and a half longer than a stone wall"...

around here... the issue would be that the lumber isn't stamped... seriously....

Well lets see if I can review a few items

Maintenance free - I will be letting the black locust grey out , from what I have read even ipe and the other hardwoods will do the some without maintenance.
Splinters - Ouch , this has gotten my attention. Have to get the boards planed , round the edges and some sanding too from the looks of things. I will have learn some more about how high a risk this is with this type of wood.
Chemicals- It does not have any man made ones that would require special disposal . A good tip on avoiding the saw dust thanks I was not a wear of the toxic to livestock concern either.
Preparation - this appears to be key to getting good results - starting with the drying for 6 months but not so long the board turn to rock from what I have learned. Pre- drilling is required too.

As for whats next , I learned the location of a few decks made of BL within an hours drive soo I think its time for a road trip.

Thank you all .

Over and Out !

Another Working With Local Wood link

Last edited:
Locust is pretty trim as well. Many old homes (back when the local lumber yard made them) door & window sills were locust for the rot resistance. I think if you had some boards sawn (green) with a mild saw kerf *finish, I'd just round over the top or face corners with a router and nail it down green. That stuff is harder than woodpecker lips when dry!

*I like the look of a rotary sawn board but bandmills tend to have a smoother finish.
Also the fence posts that I have cut were not especially splinter prone but they may have been honey locust. Not sure of the difference, all locust is good!

I'm actually picking up a load of BL for porch decking tomorrow. The posts and joists are BL as well and let me just tell you, not only is screwing it hard, good luck driving nails. We had to drill pilot holes for the nails and I broke 3 drill bits off in the holes. I was using 10d commons and 16d sinkers. After 20 or so bent nails I got the hang of it, but you need a heavy hammer and light steady swings. Here's a shot of the house, you can sort of see the porch in the closest corner. I'll post some pictures of the deck when I get it on later this week/weekend.

photo (1).JPG

Nice picture !

Thanks for the tips and plz do post more pictures when you can. Stay warm.

Got the deck 99% done. The last 2 boards need to be ripped down and bull nosed to finish the job. I really really like the grain on this wood. Having a local mill do this paid off. I had 6x6 posts supporting the porch, so he used the edges of the log to make the floor boards which have a really nice grain. I want to try an preserve this look as much as possible, so time to research a neutral stain/protectant. I did manage to mess up a couple cuts, darn miter saw was off of 0deg and I didn't notice. . . I have a little slack, so I'm just going to hit the edge with a skill saw to square it back up. Sorry about the mud too. . . :)

photo 1.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 2.JPG

Beardly - that looks great! Thanks for the pics. The choice to go with something like locust is more than just financial but, any idea how the cost stacks up against typical pressure treated stuff?

I wish I had a better answer, but the best I could say would be that it most likely will be cheaper. The hardest part is finding a sawyer that can find the trees. They aren't the straightest growing, so getting long boards can be a challenge. We wanted to use it for the sill plate as well, but in the spring when we started, he couldn't find a wood lot with suitable logs. That being said, I can't really see how PT from a lumber yard could be cheaper than black locust from a local yocal mill.

Like you said, its more than financial. I didn't have to wear a mask while cutting this, and I don't have to worry about toxic slivers. Even if it did cost more, the plusses way out weigh the negatives in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.