Black Locust haul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JRHAWK9

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2014
Wisconsin Dells, WI
Here's my Black Locust haul from my neighbors place. There is one oak tree in the pile, but the rest is Locust. I've got another 6 or so good sized Locusts he wants dropped in addition to what's here. Once I get this split and stacked it should put me up to or a little over 30 c/s/s cords in total. I need 4-5 cords to reach the 30 cord c/s/s mark and I think there should be about that here.

IMG_0270.JPG IMG_0271.JPG IMG_0272.JPG

Last edited:
Black Locust has become one of my favorite woods.

You Lucky Dog !

Nice, locust and oak mix is one of the best.

That is one pretty heap, right there! :cool:

So, from the sound of it, I'll be in for a treat when I burn this Locust in 6 years or so. I wonder if a gasification furnace will help decrease the smell at all.

I have plenty of different woods to mix with it, cherry included... none of them cover the burning gym sock smell though....
I haven't really noticed that smell but I haven't burned any with the bark on it. I notice when splitting that most of the stench seems to come from right under the bark...

Reactions: Hickorynut
I haven't really noticed that smell but I haven't burned any with the bark on it. I notice when splitting that most of the stench seems to come from right under the bark...

go outside when you're burning a load. due to how my house lays in the wind (even with my chimney a full 3' above the ridge). the smoke will rise a foot, move sharply to the east (the wind always blows out of the west towards the ocean in the winter), and blow straight down to the ground. plenty of opportunity to smell the smoke. when I'm burning a load of hickory... it just makes me hungry :D

go outside when you're burning a load.
It could be that I haven't smelled it because I generally don't burn a straight load of it, usually just put a couple splits in back to stretch out the burn.

so how come your neighbor wanted you to cut the locust on his property? Despite its smell, it is top shelf wood for many uses.

if it's anything like the locust stands around here.... they're nearly all dead or dying... I don't know if it's something the highway dept is spraying on the roads or what, but something is killing them.

if it's anything like the locust stands around here.... they're nearly all dead or dying... I don't know if it's something the highway dept is spraying on the roads or what, but something is killing them.
They are just not all that durable; I see the same thing in the grove I work, which is in the woods far from the road...

so how come your neighbor wanted you to cut the locust on his property? Despite its smell, it is top shelf wood for many uses.

He has them all along and overhanging his asphalt driveway up to the house. His wife wants them gone and he's sick of getting flat tires from the thorns. Plus he wants to open up the canopy some to get some sunlight on his driveway.

What I don't understand is he has an older outdoor wood boiler and goes through ~10 cords a year. It seems like he's not interested in burning it though for whatever reason. When he told me I could have all the wood if I helped him drop them I was a bit suspicious as to how good of wood it truly is if he's willing to just give it away. When I got back the house and found the BTU ratings for it I was shocked and immediately knew I wanted as much as I could get my hands on. This past week they were gone on vacation so I had him mark some of the ones he wanted dropped. Took all of them along with a couple others I knew he wanted down. When they came home Monday his wife liked the more wide open look and now she wants all of them gone....lol There's another half dozen or more pretty good sized ones which he wants gone and I get the wood from those as well. I don't want to ask too many questions as to why he doesn't want it as I don't want him to change his mind. This is why I'm trying to get them down and moved over to my place as soon as I can! lol

Reactions: Woody Stover
It seems like he's not interested in burning it though for whatever reason.
Maybe he and his wife don't like smelly wood. ==c

I've had no problems with BL in a years seasoning. Split early March 2013, I believe, started burning in December or January of this winter, I can't quite recall. I've been flooded with Red Oak, so I usually throw it in a glowing fire, but it does what it's supposed to. Gets the house up to 90!

Reactions: Lakeside
Status
Not open for further replies.