Black Locust or Black Birch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Adios Pantalones said:
They aren't all that bad. In fact- they can be worse with fewer thorns- when you aren't payin attention- that's when they getcha! Honey locust usually has worse thorns and it's less dense.

I don't get in to too much locust for firewood, though not by choice.

My locust experience is based on the ones on my property.

A previous owner decided some years ago to play a cruel joke on posterity by planting them damned things there.

Firewood avengers, they are. My chimney's in clear view of them and they take it upon themselves to bite me back in retalliation for all the trees I've slayed over the years. OUCH!!!

The two on the left look like honey locust to me. There are thorn-less varieties. I didn't do very good in Woodies 1&2 in college though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.