Black Locust Score Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albertj03

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2009
Southern Maine
Back in September I had gotten a bunch of Black Locust that had been cut into rounds and stacked for about a year and a half. It was from a tree that the power company had cut because it was growing over the lines but they didn't cut the entire tree down so the bottom 20 feet or so was still standing. Got a call from the homeowner the other day telling me that they had the rest of the tree cut down and it was all mine if I wanted it. Of course I couldn't get there soon enough. The tree was huge at the base, should have measured the stump but I'd guess that it was over 3 feet across. My Husky 450 with 18" bar never backed down although it was totally outmatched - would have been a great day to have a bigger saw but with the help of some well placed wedges I got it all cut up. Had to use the Super Splitter to split the rounds up just so I could load them in the truck. Will be great burning maybe for next year.

c3a01daf.gif

3122466b.jpg

55438878.jpg

[quote author="albertj03" date="1323581519"]Back in September I had gotten a bunch of Black Locust that had been cut into rounds and stacked for about a year and a half. It was from a tree that the power company had cut because it was growing over the lines but they didn't cut the entire tree down so the bottom 20 feet or so was still standing. Got a call from the homeowner the other day telling me that they had the rest of the tree cut down and it was all mine if I wanted it. Of course I couldn't get there soon enough. The tree was huge at the base, should have measured the stump but I'd guess that it was over 3 feet across. My Husky 450 with 18" bar never backed down although it was totally outmatched - would have been a great day to have a bigger saw but with the help of some well placed wedges I got it all cut up. Had to use the Super Splitter to split the rounds up just so I could load them in the truck. Will be great burning maybe for next year.

Nice load of Black Locust albertj03, that will make some nice fires.

Zap

That's a great score of Lucust! It's a good thing you have a Super Splitter to get through all of that! What kind of Husky is that? 445?

Good score Al, when you said super splitter I thought you meant the hydraulic super splitter :lol:

stejus said:
That's a great score of Lucust! It's a good thing you have a Super Splitter to get through all of that! What kind of Husky is that? 445?

Yeah the Super Splitter saved my back today and makes quick work of the wood. It's a Husky 450 with an 18" bar - great for must of the stuff I cut but was definitely undersized for this wood today.

Nice pile of BL there. Good stuff. Seasons quickly and burns long and hot. I do the same with my Fiskars. Break the rounds into halves or quarters so I can lift them onto the truck without killing myself.

I love the Fiskars. I take it on my scrounges now to make sure I'll be able to lift wood alone and get it in the truck. Nice score.

Boom Stick said:
I love the Fiskars. I take it on my scrounges now to make sure I'll be able to lift wood alone and get it in the truck. Nice score.

Why the Fiskars saw them at Sears the other day just looked like an expensive AX to me My little maul with fiberglass handle will split anything that expenceve toy will. Convince me and I will buy one :lol: :snake:

Attachments

• SDC10366.jpg
    SDC10366.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 486
cptoneleg said:
Boom Stick said:

Why the Fiskars saw them at Sears the other day just looked like an expensive AX to me My little maul with fiberglass handle will split anything that expenceve toy will. Convince me and I will buy one :lol: :snake:

Not a fan-boy here either. IME an "axe" is a cutting (vice splitting) tool that can be very dangerous to someone splitting with it. Perhaps they really mean "mini-maul" and should phrase it so. Sometimes confusion is intentional- dunno.

Over the years I've found that a 6 lb maul gives me the most bang for the "grunt" invested, because of the velocity I can swing it with. One of mine is over 30 yrs old and still works just fine with a hickory handle- replaced that a couple of times over the years. Forks and knots that give it problems, can be dealt with after as little a noodling cut as possible.

Any bets on the next space-age, got-to-have, atomic-powered, wood-processing doo-hickey? OTOH a Muller 3 kg maul looks like a good investment.

albertj03 said:
The tree was huge at the base, should have measured the stump but I'd guess that it was over 3 feet across.
Wow! I'm cutting some dead BL now. I'd have to measure to be sure but I think the biggest one is maybe 15-16" DBH.

cptoneleg said:
I have both a Fiskars and an axe identical to yours. The Fiskars (X-27 with a skinnier wedge than the SS) will start a crack where my Ludell will just bounce off. Sure, you can always grab a wedge and sledge...but we're old men, we need all the help we can get.
:lol:

cptoneleg said:

My Sears has the Fiskars Pro Splitting Axe, but never carried the Super Splitting Axe, the X25, or the X27. The Fiskars Pro is puny compared to the others. See link:

Fiskars Pro Splitting Axe, original Super Splitting Axe, and X27 Splitting Axe comparison

Nice score. Seems like a whole lot of ppl here have acquired more BL than in past years. It splits almost too easy, unless the round has knots. Compliments on that great-looking truck, too!

Nice that you were able to get the rest of that one Albert.

Flatbedford said:
Nice pile of BL there. Good stuff. Seasons quickly and burns long and hot. I do the same with my Fiskars. Break the rounds into halves or quarters so I can lift them onto the truck without killing myself.

+1 Except I use a 6lb. maul or sledge and wedges. I always take them with me when I'm cutting. A few years back I did a bit of damage to my back lifting some pieces on the truck (about 18 in. diamater I think). Never again for me! A few swings with the maul is far preferrable to a hurt back!

cptoneleg said:
Boom Stick said:

I have a splitting maul that looks exactly like the one in your picture and I haven't touched it since I got my Fiskars. I can split wood twice as fast and with less effort with the Fiskars. As far as it being expensive, I think I paid $30 for it on Amazon and with all the time and effort it's saved me it has more than paid for itself. Not to mention that I haven't rented a wood splitter since I've had it.

albertj03 said:
cptoneleg said:
Boom Stick said:

I have a splitting maul that looks exactly like the one in your picture and I haven't touched it since I got my Fiskars. I can split wood twice as fast and with less effort with the Fiskars. As far as it being expensive, I think I paid $30 for it on Amazon and with all the time and effort it's saved me it has more than paid for itself. Not to mention that I haven't rented a wood splitter since I've had it.

I haven't touched that one since I bought a 22ton hydrolic splitter except out in the field to get rounds down to size for lifting. I will probably buy one now that I have one good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.