Black Locust Scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
3 loads so far in my new 5x8ft trailer, my buddy welded up for me. Maybe 1 or 2 more loads to go. All free! :cheese: This should put me 2 years ahead on firewood.

Attachments

• 000_0093.JPG
    000_0093.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 513
  • 000_0094.JPG
    000_0094.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 527
  • 000_0095.JPG
    000_0095.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 521
Cant beat free. I have about a cord of honey locust stacked and aging and will burn it when it gets around March. That was when my electric bill was the highest last year.

Nice trailer too :)

Shipper

Lucky you fer sure, I'd burn all locust if I could get it :)

My favorite wood to burn, hands down...... not to mention it was free!!!!!

black locust and your Fireview..a recipe for long, long warmth! :coolsmile:

I am going to be planting saplings on a couple acres of field here some time in the near future. I can get honey locust & black locust saplings. How fast does locust grow? and is one variety better than the other?

churchie said:
Nice trailer, what that set you back ?? . .

I think it was about $1k. A friend of mine is a great welder, and has made a few trailers in the past, so I talked him into making one for me that could handle about 4000lbs. He got the metal, and I went to a local Farm and Fleet store for all the trailer parts, and we put it all together.

Much easier hauling firewood this way than my old F-250. And it holds more too.

Hey Hog, Black locust all the way. No comparison. One of the best. Without looking it up I would say black locust is a medium to slow growing tree. Honey would be faster. Dense, hardwood trees generally grow slower. Probably take 20 years for a harvest for your stove. Put a few in the back 40 and try to forget about them. They'll grow and multiply. While they are doing that, harvest some that someone else planted.

RonB said:
Hey Hog, Black locust all the way. No comparison. One of the best. Without looking it up I would say black locust is a medium to slow growing tree. Honey would be faster. Dense, hardwood trees generally grow slower. Probably take 20 years for a harvest for your stove. Put a few in the back 40 and try to forget about them. They'll grow and multiply. While they are doing that, harvest some that someone else planted.

Thanks, sounds like sound advice.

A friend of mine runs/owns a doozer of a dairy farm. One day I noticed they were pushing over trees in a field and leveling it off. He said "hey, sorry I didn't call you to cut them but we needed to get them down and out of the way quickly". No problem I thought. Later, in talking to his brother, he said that he contacted a needy friend of the family about cutting them but the guy said "I don't cut any firewood that is green in color". So I started to get the shakes & sweats. I drove back in to the field where they were working....and wept. ALL LOCUST....wasted.

Your trailer loads of locust make me jealous. Good find!.

Todd said:
churchie said:
Nice trailer, what that set you back ?? . .

I think it was about $1k. A friend of mine is a great welder, and has made a few trailers in the past, so I talked him into making one for me that could handle about 4000lbs. He got the metal, and I went to a local Farm and Fleet store for all the trailer parts, and we put it all together.

Much easier hauling firewood this way than my old F-250. And it holds more too.

I bought a BriMar 5x8 for about 1150 - has the steel sides about the size of yours and then I put wood side extensions on it. I can pull a nice load of wood with my 4Runner. Has to be the best investment I ever made.

Wow, ( I am gonna bust on you here) I love to see big truck guys that wont put things in the back! haha! ;) You could have saved yourself a couple trips if you would have filled the truck bed and the trailer!

Adirondackwoodburner said:
Wow, ( I am gonna bust on you here) I love to see big truck guys that wont put things in the back! haha! ;) You could have saved yourself a couple trips if you would have filled the truck bed and the trailer!

I would of filled the truck to, but my Colorado is only rated to tow 4000lbs and I figure a full load of Locust in that trailer is pretty close to that.

maybe, I dont think that that trailer weighs as much as you think..Can you take it to a quarry and get it weighed on some truck scales? PS, I have a 5'x8' Performance hydraulic dump trailer..now that is the way to go!

[quote author="woodconvert" date="1199990272"]A friend of mine runs/owns a doozer of a dairy farm. One day I noticed they were pushing over trees in a field and leveling it off. He said "hey, sorry I didn't call you to cut them but we needed to get them down and out of the way quickly". No problem I thought. Later, in talking to his brother, he said that he contacted a needy friend of the family about cutting them but the guy said "I don't cut any firewood that is green in color". So I started to get the shakes & sweats. I drove back in to the field where they were working....and wept. ALL LOCUST....wasted.

Hey Woodconvert, unless your friend burned the wood it is still good. Locust can be on the ground and good for years.

RonB said:
woodconvert said:
A friend of mine runs/owns a doozer of a dairy farm. One day I noticed they were pushing over trees in a field and leveling it off. He said "hey, sorry I didn't call you to cut them but we needed to get them down and out of the way quickly". No problem I thought. Later, in talking to his brother, he said that he contacted a needy friend of the family about cutting them but the guy said "I don't cut any firewood that is green in color". So I started to get the shakes & sweats. I drove back in to the field where they were working....and wept. ALL LOCUST....wasted.

Hey Woodconvert, unless your friend burned the wood it is still good. Locust can be on the ground and good for years.

Yeah, I know, but it's covered in dirt from being moved around with a bulldozer. Dirt and my saw don't mix. I sure thought about it though.

Todd said:

I would of filled the truck to, but my Colorado is only rated to tow 4000lbs and I figure a full load of Locust in that trailer is pretty close to that.

95 dodge dakota + 5'X10' single axle trailer = 4000 lb of wood (doesn't include the trailer weight)

I typically fill the bed of the truck and the trailer to the point that they are almost overflowing. I have 2' sides on the trailer. I can't imagine that your loaded trailer by itself weighs that much. I guess I could be wrong. If your axle snaps, THEN it's too full...

Colorado's are not big truck...not full size. Just by loading the back it probably would be close to max load. Then, loading the trailer, tongue weight would probably put you over plus you'd have something that would drive like a snake. Not very safe when you've got movable weight/projectiles right behind your head.

I picked up some locusts trunks the year before last. About 30 inches around. We had to cut them into 16 inch lengths and roll them up a ramp into the truck. It took 2 swipes with my husky rancher 20 inch bar. . We also picked up some hugh maple rounds the same year. I think I have pics of those somewhere. I will post them if I can figure out how later. Locust is by far the one of the best wood to burn. When I was younger I used to get "excited" when I saw some hot chick, Not its all about wood. Somehow I think they go well together anyway. Hot chicks and big wood?? ( I must be getting old)

Mike

Mike from Athens said:
Todd said:

95 dodge dakota + 5'X10' single axle trailer = 4000 lb of wood (doesn't include the trailer weight)

I typically fill the bed of the truck and the trailer to the point that they are almost overflowing. I have 2' sides on the trailer. I can't imagine that your loaded trailer by itself weighs that much. I guess I could be wrong. If your axle snaps, THEN it's too full...

I guess I could of gone that route, but after filling that trailer I need a break and don't want to overdo it. 1 trailer load per day, is about all my back can handle.

now the truth comes out :) !

Status
Not open for further replies.