BLACK LOCUST?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice scores. However, 200' to the truck with logs that size would have me seeing a chiropractor or orthopaedic surgeon. I would have to get the splitter in there to get logs like that 200' to the truck. Definitely some nice logs though.
wasnt too bad, wheeled them up with hand truck. prob gonna go back for the trunk seen in picture 3666 this weekend if what i have already doesnt give me a hard time splitting with the x25. will see how much snow we get here too...

Not being critical but I'm not seeing black locust there,unless theres a different specie I'm unaware of. Wood looks too white should be yellow even when green,for your sake I hope I'm wrong,Good luck with it anyway.If possible show some leaves of the trees in question.

Not being critical but I'm not seeing black locust there,unless theres a different specie I'm unaware of. Wood looks too white should be yellow even when green,for your sake I hope I'm wrong,Good luck with it anyway.If possible show some leaves of the trees in question.
i hope you are wrong longarm. no other pictures but in pic 3667 you can see the stalks that the leaves grow from if that helps.

Forget the leaf pics . . . maybe I missed it . . . but I would love to see more pics of the truck . . . looks interesting from what little I could see of it in one pic.

Forget the leaf pics . . . maybe I missed it . . . but I would love to see more pics of the truck . . . looks interesting from what little I could see of it in one pic.
man everybody loves that truck, including me!
1987 jeep j-20. previous life was a plow truck for (you'll like this) a fire department. 39k original miles. very stout truck. high ground clearance and low center of gravity. currently needs new floorboards, exhaust, and carb work. loves being locked in low 4x4 to drag trees out of woods. my son loves it too!

Attachments

• 170919_535658893598_2007673_o.jpg
    170919_535658893598_2007673_o.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 138
  • 172157_535598329968_528051_o.jpg
    172157_535598329968_528051_o.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 400363_616308880378_125331954_n.jpg
    400363_616308880378_125331954_n.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 72564-adb8cae60c82ca5edbd6fd7bccb20107.jpg
    72564-adb8cae60c82ca5edbd6fd7bccb20107.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 147
anyways, met a buddy at the bar last night. chootin the chit and i show him that picture of the load of wood i brought home. "hmm" he says "that looks like some of the trees that got knocked over on my property. i am going to cut them up and throw them down the mountain tomorrow to get rid of them." i asked him to send me a pic to verify BL (hopefully) before he did that. needless to say, i got him doing work for me right now. pictured is the smallest of at least 4 trees. i will get some pics of a split round tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_2487.jpg
    IMG_2487.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2374.jpg
    IMG_2374.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 132
anyways, met a buddy at the bar last night. chootin the chit and i show him that picture of the load of wood i brought home. "hmm" he says "that looks like some of the trees that got knocked over on my property. i am going to cut them up and throw them down the mountain tomorrow to get rid of them." i asked him to send me a pic to verify BL (hopefully) before he did that. needless to say, i got him doing work for me right now. pictured is the smallest of at least 4 trees. i will get some pics of a split round tonight.

I vote that THAT is BL. I have a yard full of it and every windstorm gives me another years' wood- shallow roots, apparently.

Reactions: ScotO
FYI- I am currently burning the BL that came down in my yard during Hurricane Irene. It burns like I dipped it in gasoline. Do your own math on seasoning time.

Definitely don't let that buddy throw that wood away!!!!

Locust usually splits relatively easy. The sooner spit the better though.
Dry twists in any wood get exponentially tougher .
Dad & I made many fence post with hand split , 6' locust logs in WV.
( Man, that was a long time ago & I still remember :) )
.........so dave, how did one from the hollers and mountains of west by God virginia end up in the mountains of alaska? i lived on the new river in fayetteville for awhile. i loved it.

nice score reaper

cass

.........so dave, how did one from the hollers and mountains of west by God virginia end up in the mountains of alaska? i lived on the new river in fayetteville for awhile. i loved it.

nice score reaper

cass

Deep Hollar, West by God Virginia ! Yu-all :)
How? Military ;)

cool dave.....yeah, i ended up in d.c. because of my military experience....fayetteville too, right after getting out, but it paid better here.

cass

That's BL. Good stuff should split pretty easily. And will burn like coal in a year.

black locust..................hey and ain't that longarm guy the one that was going to show us all that black locust split and stacked ? Did I miss it

FYI- I am currently burning the BL that came down in my yard during Hurricane Irene. It burns like I dipped it in gasoline. Do your own math on seasoning time.
Planning for two years. Putting in a boiler next summer and have plenty of black birch for first winter.

Good wood . . . definitely get whatever wood your buddy was preparing to toss aside.

And thanks for posting pics of the truck . . . looks sharp. Cute kid as well.

thanks all.

dare i ask if this is the same guy? stacked off the ground and carefully tarped, this was behind the barn when i bought my house...

I found similar stack next to my barn... lived in the house for 3 years, then burned it. Split one of those bad boys- what do you find?

Not BL.

thanks all.

dare i ask if this is the same guy? stacked off the ground and carefully tarped, this was behind the barn when i bought my house...
My first impression is black walnut. Any in the area?

Status
Not open for further replies.