Black on house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0872

Feb 9, 2009
MO
I am getting black on the outside of my house can anyone help here. My stove is in the basement probably have about 4' of pipe up then an elbow then out of the house with a 1' pipe then the shield cap.

sc0872 said:
I am getting black on the outside of my house can anyone help here. My stove is in the basement probably have about 4' of pipe up then an elbow then out of the house with a 1' pipe then the shield cap.

Can you provide a picture? I believe that the pipe is likely supposed be longer than that.

What does your manual say and what kind of cap do you have?

Tell us your stove and how you are keeping it clean. What you suggest is a dirty stack and ash/soot depositing on the house. There are now two issues, the arrangement of your stack and the reason for the smokiness.

Englander 25-EP I clean it every night with shop vac. I have used a leaf blower from the outside a few times.

Only 1' out?! Way too short/close to the house IMO.

If you change that 1' to a 3' your problem should be solved.
My XXV is a basement install with 5 foot up, elbow, 3 foot out to cap.
Been burning this stove for 4 years with not one spec of ash on the house even
on windy days.

Unless is a very clean burning stove, We always go for 24" outside of the house when doing an installation. Wind direction can also be a factor.

sc0872 said:
so you go out 3' straight out or do you go up.
She goes straight out.

Tink, maybe you could post a pic of your pipe outside?

My stove's manual says minimum of 24 inches.

There are some termination units that only require 12 inches of pipe before the termination but those puppies add over 12 inches.

You need to use at least what your manual says for minimums.

So you think if I replace the one foot with a two foot I will be doing good. Will this change the way the stove burns?

sc0872 said:
So you think if I replace the one foot with a two foot I will be doing good. Will this change the way the stove burns?
For the minimal expense of a 1' section, it can't hurt. Stove performance shouldn't change much, if at all.

sc0872 said:

It will add 1 to your EVL can you provide a full description of the venting system as it is now?

You want to keep that within the requirements stated in your stove's manual.

Smokey, from what they describe, it sound like they presently have an EVL of around 14-15....I don't think another foot of horiz. will hurt.

Here is a pic of mine from my cell as my regular camera is dead.
Hopefully you can see it. The 3' foot section does not stick out as
much as you think it does. Got to account for the size of the wall it is in.

Attachments

• php6gAZWmPM.jpg
    php6gAZWmPM.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 361
Here is one more....

Attachments

• php2btXWrPM.jpg
    php2btXWrPM.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 331
macman said:
Smokey, from what they describe, it sound like they presently have an EVL of around 14-15....I don't think another foot of horiz. will hurt.

I count 12 to get to the horizontal point, depending upon the altitude at his location and what his manual says I suspect he will be right at the boundary. I say give it a try.

SmokeyTheBear said:
macman said:

I count 12 to get to the horizontal point, depending upon the altitude at his location and what his manual says I suspect he will be right at the boundary. I say give it a try.

Yep Smokey, that sounds right, but you still have to add the 2-3' horiz. to go through the wall.
Total of about 14-15 at the cap.

He's in Missouri..... don't think there's too many places with high elevation there......another foot won't hurt, IMO.

Well it was suppose to be easy to add a 1' section of pipe right. Well since the pipe that the local farm store has is not the same as I had I had to buy all new pipe. I wasn't happy but I did get it installed. From my elbow inside the house I have a 2' section going out I might change that to a 3' pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.