Black on Stihl saws?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HatCityIAFF

Burning Hunk
Oct 26, 2011
Western CT
How come mostly every single stihl saw I see has a ton of black (looks burnt) where the bar connects to the sprocket, behind the cover? My old man bought a new 250 maybe 8 years ago, and I was flush cutting a stump that was pretty big, and it was quite black when I was done. Looks like the exhaust exits in the direction, and maybe since it was close to the ground the heat had no where to go? I brought It back the next day, and the guy said the chain was dull, and thats what caused it. I've been cutting for 20 yrs and change out chains immediatly when they get dull. (random saw to show what i'm talking about) $(KGrHqV,!ksFB0yf(oQbBQm8LQZeOQ~~60_57.JPG .

Status
Not open for further replies.