Black on the glass after few hours!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Breckwell insert with a big glass window. Gets dirty regardless of the pellets, the cleanliness of the stove, or the state of the exhaust and/or intake.

But it does heat great.
I'm happy for you but that doesn't really address the problem the OP is having. :)

when there's a design problem Harman sends people to repair it no charge? :p:cool::p

Since HHT now owns Harman, I seriously doubt you'll ever see that happen.

What are you using for pellets? How much ash are you getting in your ashpan? I don't have that much ash after a ton with horizontal venting.

The ash pan gets full after about 1-1/2 weeks of use and I am using granulco pellets...maybe not the cleanest pellet?

The ash pan gets full after about 1-1/2 weeks of use and I am using granulco pellets...maybe not the cleanest pellet?

Poked around a bit ... 1% ash for granulco vs. .5% ash for the lacretes I'm using; fines .5% vs .2%. Wondering if it is a compression factor as they are spruce, balsam fir mix like the lacretes. Your granulco are like the Indecks I was using last spring - piles of ash:(

What kind of price tag? What other pellets are available near you? Eastern Ontario? If your area is like mine, it seems a dead zone as far as pellet supply.

I bought 35 bags Granulco early in the season with special rona $ 4.78 the bag well it burns in my P68 but there was a lot of dust and a lot of ash. I prefer Trebio vs Granulco.
I buy at walmart Trebio bag for $ 4.58

remove the combustion blower and clean,

Eric

Reactions: tjnamtiw
Since HHT now owns Harman, I seriously doubt you'll ever see that happen.
Actually it recently did. Forget the recent thread title but they sent people out and replaced a firepot, board. ESP, lots stuff. Parts and labor were free but since the techs were over 50 miles away the owner had to pay mileage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whiteg and tjnamtiw
There is a chamber behind the firewall and the only way to get into it is to go through the combustion blower. If that is not clean it will not run correctly. You also need to clean the access area to that chamber.

Eric

I'm happy for you but that doesn't really address the problem the OP is having. :)

My first sentence was totally on point, that the glass gets dirty regardless of the pellet quality or stove settings.

The second sentence was also on point, since there were several suggestions that dirty glass can be a function of inefficient combustion etc.
:)

My first sentence was totally on point, that the glass gets dirty regardless of the pellet quality or stove settings.

The second sentence was also on point, since there were several suggestions that dirty glass can be a function of inefficient combustion etc.
:)
No, the black you see on the glass is NOT 'regardless' of stove settings. It is caused by stove incorrect settings burning too rich, meaning too much fuel for the amount of air being supplied. Sure glass gets dirty on all stoves but I've NEVER seen black soot like that, which appears to be almost creosote.

Same for the second point. Third point is that you don't even have the same stove and that tends to muddy the waters, which is an all too frequent trend this season.

"And that's all I have to say about that"

Anytime you make an adjustment to match the stove to the fuel it is burning and there is no change in the flame then as Eric says it is past time to really clean the stove as there is more than enough ash in the works that you can't adjust the stove.

After you get that stove really cleaned, then you can set the flame height according to the manual.

The fact that you may burning an ash generator should not get in the way at this time provided the installation itself isn't messed up.

The items in the installation that would get in the way would be too much restriction in the vent system and insufficient oxygen in the combustion air for the burn to proceed efficiently.

Reactions: tjnamtiw and chken
Status
Not open for further replies.