Black smoke and smell/enviro M55

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrogers999

Oct 9, 2011
Billerica Ma
Just noticed outside that I have black smoke coming out of my exhaust. I have an M55 FS. Also smells a little. It vents vertically at 90 degrees. I clean once a week and just emptied out the bottom of my T. There's wasn't much in there. I'm burning Spruce Pointe and just started with some barefoots. The siding is getting black from the wind blowing. 2nd year burning. Never happened before. Any thoughts?

Sounds like you are burning a bit rich. Happens when you change fuels. You might need to increase the feed trim air up a level or 2.

What heat setting are you on?

Right now I'm on 5. I just turned the air trim to 5 and the feed to 2. Kinda started noticing it since throwing a couple of bags of barefoots in. I just emptied the soot in the bottom of the T and there was hardly anything there.

I usually crank it up to 5 to get the upstairs bedrooms warm around 7 or 8pm and it goes on 3 at 11 for the overnight since its dropped into the teens outside.

Could be when the dealer( I read the other thread) set the damper he went a little low. If setting the trim level to 5 does clear the smoke issue. Open the damper a little more. Or call the dealer back and have him reset it to a higher level.

I am assuming the stove is clean and tiddy. It would not hurt to do a full cleaning and be sure a dirty stove isn't the issue. Don't forget to clean behind the baffle(s). Even though the vent was pretty clean, The stove could have ash that might be plugging things like proper air flow. This could also cause a rich burn.

I have seen video's on the M55 steel being cleaned on the enviro site. Select M55 in the menu.

http://www.enviro.com/videos/index.php

The baffles as in behind the inside wall. I get there every other cleaning. Just watched the video. Never knew about those round disk things. Learn something new everyday.

next time you shut the stove down for a cleaning jus remove the piece of steel that those two round cleanouts are in.that whole piece is removable and it will expose the path to the combustion blower.you will see the damper slider also but be carefull not to bump it or you will have to reset the draft again.after you remove the panel just measure the opening that you see going back to the combustion blower.that way you can slide it all the ways open so you can give the path to the blower a good cleaning.then just slide the damper back to its original spot.

K thankyou

next time you shut the stove down for a cleaning jus remove the piece of steel that those two round cleanouts are in.that whole piece is removable and it will expose the path to the combustion blower.you will see the damper slider also but be carefull not to bump it or you will have to reset the draft again.after you remove the panel just measure the opening that you see going back to the combustion blower.that way you can slide it all the ways open so you can give the path to the blower a good cleaning.then just slide the damper back to its original spot.

Just to be clear you mean this?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357222302.401652.jpg

Found this with doing a search on this site. By the way I love this forum. On here constantly on my iphone. Tons of good members with great info!

Status
Not open for further replies.