Black smoke color in the inside of the glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
my friend also has same Englnader 25-pdv as I do and he was asking me why his stove has this black smoke color in the glass (inside the glass).
he also said the stove was not running this morning when he went downstairs, seems like it shutoff by itself even though there were plenty of pellets in the hopper and the unit was completely off with nothing displaying in the control board...

he finished the install yesterday and it was getting a little late and did not have a chance to install the air intake and the exaust is straight out with no vertical rise, would this be the problem?

ok guys, this samething is happening to my Englander 25-pdv, the front glass gets this black coloration/smoke.

Is this "normal" on a pellet stove or this is the way this brand "behaves" ?

Can someone help me here, my stove is installed per the manual........wonder if Mike from Englanger has any comments/suggestions on this........!!!

I may post a picture if needed.

The black color is normal, an ash buildup. This black coloration can be decreased or increased by different brands of pellets. I usually wipe the glass when I scrape the burnpot every day.

It is always a good idea to wipe the glass daily with a dry rag or towel. I also recommend stirring the burn pot once or twice a day even if you have an agitator. You should not have to turn the stove off if you are quick. Eric 330-876-0200

this may be due to the pellet used, I bought a couple bags of Eagle Valley and they seem to be causing this more than the pellet I had from home depot a while ago.

will try to get the barefoot today and see if this brand is better.

I think the shut down is due to how pellets fall into the auger from the hopper as you suggested, will post picture from this morning, it did it again and when checked the pellets made a circle around the hole in the hopper but the auger was empty so pellets didn't slide in...

geek said:
I think the shut down is due to how pellets fall into the auger from the hopper as you suggested, will post picture from this morning, it did it again and when checked the pellets made a circle around the hole in the hopper but the auger was empty so pellets didn't slide in...

Just add more pellets, or move them towards the center of the hopper before you go to bed or leave the house.

packerfan said:
geek said:

Just add more pellets, or move them towards the center of the hopper before you go to bed or leave the house.

that's what I always do at night, but in the morning the circle is again formed....

You could either wax the inside of the hopper to make it slick, or install some aluminum tape in the hopper. I chose the tape, and the pellets slide right in.

thanks for the replies.....

Status
Not open for further replies.