Black smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrogers999

Oct 9, 2011
Billerica Ma
Just noticed outside that I have black smoke coming out of my exhaust. I have an M55 FS. It vents vertically at 90 degrees. I clean once a week and just emptied out the bottom of my T. There's wasn't much in there. I'm burning Spruce Pointe and just started with some barefoots. The siding is getting black from the wind blowing. 2nd year burning. Never happened before. Any thoughts?

There should NEVER be black smoke, or any smoke at all, from a properly running pellet stove. Last time the stove was torn apart and cleaned inside & out, plus cleaning the entire exhaust pipe was.....?

Had a summer cleaning done. The dealer came out and did the leaf blower thing. He also set the damper with the gauge which the original never when installed.

When I do my weekend cleaning I vacuum the firebox and I pull the firewall out and vacuum in there too.

Also I never clean out the vertical part of the exhaust. I have started to notice the exhaust head turning black.

And all ash traps are opened & cleaned completely? And the combustion blower was removed, wire brushed, scraped, and reinstalled w/ a new gasket?

I'm not sure what you mean by ash traps? Where are those? Never pulled blower out? How do I do that?

I just started messing with my setting to see if i need more air. I just put heat on 5 with combustion on 5 and feed on 1.

Cleaning listed on P. 10-12 owners manual

As for the blower, hopefully one of the other M55 owners will chime in about that, but usually there's a panel on the side that is removable....blower just unplugs (2 wires), and 6-7 nuts hold it to exhaust plenum.

BTW, go back and edit this thread....add "Enviro M55FS" to the title.....more people who have your stove will notice it.

Status
Not open for further replies.