Black Snow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brogsie

Feeling the Heat
Dec 19, 2007
eastern MA
Last week end I reloaded my Fireview pretty full with nice dry ash and cherry.
I left the air wide open for about ten minutes to get things going. When I looked out the window black fakes were floating down and landing on the
new snow had just fallen on the lawn. These black flakes were about an inch or so big and like very fine paper and very sooty.
It stopped when I closed things down.
Any thoughts? Any danger?

It was a reload, so probably no newspaper, maybe enough draft/draw to suck up and out the lighter stuff, which hopefully wouldn't be an hot ember. Have you checked your chimney, making sure its not restricted with anything. Others will certainly chime in. good luck.

I posted the same thing last year. General concensus was that wind had dislodged flakes from the cap. It hasnt happened since.

Thanks guys,
I don't use news paper so it's not that.
I will get up and check the cap.

brogsie said:
Thanks guys,
I don't use news paper so it's not that.
I will get up and check the cap.

If you have access, might as well pull out the rods and run the brush down it while you are there. Nothing wrong w/ a mid season cleaning whether it needs it or not.

pen

Sometimes light soot will build up on the inside of the chimney pipe and/or the cap. A roaring fire in the stove will cause a rapid, strong draft and knock this stuff loose. I've seen it a number of times. No problem.

That happens from time to time here too. It's just thin soot that dries when the flue gets hot, and peels off andf ends up airborne when you open the door and the rush of air enters up the flue. nothing to be too concerned about, but you should brush your chimney out just to be safe. Ive been burning inside our house for years and I still clean my chimney 3-5 times a season, depending on my fuel and outside temps, just as a precautionary measure. They don't call me 'overkill' fer nothin.....

SteveKG said:
Sometimes light soot will build up on the inside of the chimney pipe and/or the cap. A roaring fire in the stove will cause a rapid, strong draft and knock this stuff loose. I've seen it a number of times. No problem.

+1 . . . and yeah . . . no worries. I've had it happen a couple times.

Im not saying to stop brushing your chimney, but its nice having a SS liner in the fact that it is constantly expanding and contracting, knocking the larger pieces of soot loose, ALMOST self cleaning. When you reload, you are rapidly expanding the liner which will cause your flakes.

Now if i don't mention that the "self cleaning" is not a substitute for normal inspections or brushing, i will have 5 posters on my case. You know what i mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.