black soot... adjustment needed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioBurner©

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2010
Center of Ohio
I know burning wood that black soot shouldn't happen. I'm new to pellets, and since the air and fuel is all controlled I'm not sure exactly if I need to adjust setting on my ESW PAH. It seemed to be burning fine for a couple weeks then it got all clogged up and burning terrible and producing black soot a few days ago. Well I'm still not sure what happened but after a good cleaning (instead of just the daily cleaning I did the monthly, plus hooked up the shop vac to the vent pipe for a good cleaning). However the black soot problem seemed to stick around. The first couple days it wasn't so bad but the last couple days during startup after cleaning the glass gets 75% covered in black soot.

Now I did throw in one variable in the mix... I had been burning sets but my wife refilled it with AWF white pine. I got the for the coldest days, and this surely counts, so I'm just going to go with it (probably over 100 lbs still in hopper).

I've been debating adjusting 'the magic buttons' or whatever, but I'm unsure what adjustment to make for black soot.

I haven't touched the settings, they are 1 for low fuel feed and 4 for low burn air. I don't really know what else to look for to tune this stove, it seems to burn OK. It does go through pellets faster than rated, with a heat range = 1 I go through about 50lbs a day.

Double check your manual, sounds like you need more air for the fire..doubt it that its the pellets.. I'd try to adjust the air first.

Change the LBA from 4 to 5 or 6 and see how it performs.

I'll try to adjust the LBA tonight or tomorrow (I have tomorrow off). I guess I didn't specify but my settings are still the default 1-4-1. I'll probably refill with the Sets tonight too. But even if it does take some adjustments to burn different pellets optimally I'd like to learn how to do it so I can have some flexibility in what it burns, and of course I want to insure that the burn is optimal and efficient as possible.

Change the LBA from 4 to 5 or 6 and see how it performs.
So due to some other issues I'm having with the stove today (yes plural, getting about to the pulling out hair stage) the stove was off when I got home so tried to pull the plug, press blower buttons, but instead of a mode I get the number 3 which I can move up and down? Then it cycles through the bottom three but I can't actually change the numbers.

Is their a different procedure for adjusting mode and bottom 3 settings compared to the common instructions floating around here? And what's up with the #3 I get after I hold and release the blower buttons? My bottom 3 are still 1-4-1.

OK after I just posted this and continued on reading the forums I came across the other PAH thread that just explained changing the settings, so disregard that last and now I'm off to see if it helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.