1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Black walnut just cut

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by gzecc, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    I just dropped a black walnut tree. I am surprised how easy it splits. What are your opinions on its burning/drying characteristics. I was thinking of making a couple of slab benches out of the better parts of the trunks. Am I crazy?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Emmaus, Pennsylvania
    Walnut dries pretty fast, even though it has a lot of water weight when green. It burns okay; there are better and worse woods than it. I wouldn't want it for extremely cold nights unless you load more frequently, but it's a decent enough fuelwood. Go ahead and make those benches-why not?!
  3. Jake

Jake Member

Loc:
    nw burbs of Chi
    hell no youre not crazy, walnut is expensive, make the benches...
  4. Duetech

Duetech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S/W MI
    I get a number of black walnut log rejects from a saw mill because of fence posts & other stuff the tree has grown around. Steel can whack a saw mill blade. Any how (link) http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm as you can see black walnut is about at the top of the bottom 2/3 of the linked btu chart. Except for the coldest weather, in my EKO40, black walnut will get me through the winter. I works for the whole winter actually but in the coldest weather I have had to fill the firebox 3 times in stead of twice daily for the rest of the season.
  5. TKeller

TKeller New Member

Loc:
    western ky. (owensboro)
    First time I had a whole cord of black walnut to burn I was so proud. I looked out at that pile all summer and admired how beautiful it looked and looked forward to just as beautiful a burning experience. That winter how greatly disappointed I was. It burned average and produced a lot of clunkers. Granted I had an old smoke dragon stove but subsequent experiences with black walnut have also been similar. Looking at the beauty of the wood is the greatest aspect of burning black walnut. Granted not everyone has oak, hickory, locust, etc. but black walnut just doesn't measure up for me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.