Black walnut or Poplar? pic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCounty

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2009
Southeast PA
Is this black walnut or poplar? Going back in a couple minutes and want to know what to focus on....

IMG_6804.jpg

Doesn't look like poplar to me and not familar with any walnuts.

I'd say black walnut. Great for wood turning but the dust is dangerous. I am burning a lot of black walnut right now.

100% Black Walnut. Nothing else looks quite like it.

wood butcher said:
I'd say black walnut. Great for wood turning but the dust is dangerous. I am burning a lot of black walnut right now.

When green-turning such as roughing out bowls,vases etc the wet shavings can be irritating sometimes,but mainly if & when you're cutting into the bark & sapwood.Heartwood isnt as bad,though it can vary depending on the individual.

Any machining,sanding etc when the wood is very dry its highly recommended to wear dust mask or respirator.And bathe soon after work is done.The fine dust can be very irritating to sinuses,throat & eyes.

Nice. Thanks. Just picked up another truck load. Because I wasn't sure, there was a downed locust, so I bucked and took that (nice straight trunck) and then took some more of the walnut. Split a piece real quick. Split nice. How about seasoning? year? two if possible? Felt good to get a sweat going in the cold. To in-laws for dinner.

It dries pretty good.Once split/stacked is usually good to go in a year's time.Smells great (to me anyway) when sawing or splitting.I normally get a little every year,tops/branches & scrap/slabs/edgings & off cuts from milling mostly.

Walnut all the way! Poplar is green on the inside, kind of and the bark is not as deeply furrowed or dark. But im a forester, its hard for me to tell you the difference, i just see it, and that AINT poplar! Good score and grab it all that stuff is great, esp if you can make boards or sell to a wood turner, but there like us firewood folks they usually dont pay unless they have to.

Its not as dense as oak or hickory, its actually fairly soft.

Definitely Black Walnut. I have not tried burning it after one year. After two it burns great.

Thistle said:
wood butcher said:

When green-turning such as roughing out bowls,vases etc the wet shavings can be irritating sometimes,but mainly if & when you're cutting into the bark & sapwood.Heartwood isnt as bad,though it can vary depending on the individual.

Any machining,sanding etc when the wood is very dry its highly recommended to wear dust mask or respirator.And bathe soon after work is done.The fine dust can be very irritating to sinuses,throat & eyes.

I cut up a walnut tree on one of the hottest days of the year a few years back. I was sweating like crazy. The sweat mixed with walnut sawdust made me break out in a rash somethin' fierce.

Black Walnut. I burned about 1.5 cords of it this year. It was split and stacked for about 18 months. Burned great! Doesnt coal that great for a morning reload, but it burns good. Nice medium heat wood. It might be ready in one year. My stuff after 18 months was at 16%.

Oh and it splits like a dream! And smells great too!

clemsonfor said:
Walnut all the way! Poplar is green on the inside, kind of and the bark is not as deeply furrowed or dark. But im a forester, its hard for me to tell you the difference, i just see it, and that AINT poplar! Good score and grab it all that stuff is great, esp if you can make boards or sell to a wood turner, but there like us firewood folks they usually dont pay unless they have to.

Black Walnut soft??? Yes its not as "dense" as Oak or Hickory but it sure is not soft wood. Very hard actually.

Longer it sets the harder it gets.

Black walnut is a medium BTU wood. I also find that it creates more ash than most flavors do. It burns pretty nice, but if I am looking at a locust trunk and a BW trunk, the locust will be picked every time.

dannynelson77 said:
clemsonfor said:

Black Walnut soft??? Yes its not as "dense" as Oak or Hickory but it sure is not soft wood. Very hard actually.

On the hardwood spectrum. Im not meaning its a "softwood" in the dendrology sense. But when you look at that Junktus or whatever scale that measures harwood density its not near the top. I beleive ash hard maple (not our trash red maples of the south) all the oaks, hickory etc are way harder. I think some of the top ones are twice the hardness. Im talking from a HW flooring or wood working perspective. Im not a woodworker but had wanted it as HW flooring when i layed my living/formal dining room. I did this my self and you can take you finger nail and crease a finished walnut board, so there was no way with animals in my house i would use it. Its beautiful stuff though.

Again im no wood worker but am a forester. Im really just talking about that hardness scale where they take the ballbearing and press them into wood to meaure the deflection of the wood for hardness measure.

clemsonfor said:
dannynelson77 said:
clemsonfor said:

On the hardwood spectrum. Im not meaning its a "softwood" in the dendrology sense. But when you look at that Junktus or whatever scale that measures harwood density its not near the top. I beleive ash hard maple (not our trash red maples of the south) all the oaks, hickory etc are way harder. I think some of the top ones are twice the hardness. Im talking from a HW flooring or wood working perspective. Im not a woodworker but had wanted it as HW flooring when i layed my living/formal dining room. I did this my self and you can take you finger nail and crease a finished walnut board, so there was no way with animals in my house i would use it. Its beautiful stuff though.

The Janka scale you mean. Yes Ash and Oak are harder than Black Walnut on that scale. Looks like this.....

Red Oak- 1290
Sugar maple- 1450
White Ash- 1320
Black Walnut- 1010
Black Cherry- 950

Again im no wood worker but am a forester. Im really just talking about that hardness scale where they take the ballbearing and press them into wood to meaure the deflection of the wood for hardness measure.

thinking it was softer ohwell. Im an idiot i guess. It is still to soft for flooring in my opinion.

clemsonfor said:
thinking it was softer ohwell. Im an idiot i guess. It is still to soft for flooring in my opinion.

My coffee table is walnut and it has a few dings, but it is plenty hard. My BIL has walnut floors and they look AMAZING...they are only a few years old but look the same as the day he installed them.

Im just going by the samples i had and the scale. I could crease the walnut easy with my nail, the oak not so much. I have inside cats and a dog and the oak is creased and scratched i cant imagine anything softer. If i did not already have oak in the rest of the house i would of put hickory or if the exotics were not so expensive i would have went that route.

clemsonfor said:
Im just going by the samples i had and the scale. I could crease the walnut easy with my nail, the oak not so much. I have inside cats and a dog and the oak is creased and scratched i cant imagine anything softer. If i did not already have oak in the rest of the house i would of put hickory or if the exotics were not so expensive i would have went that route.

The finish they put on flooring is pretty amazing and adds a lot of durability to the wood.

I agree that it is pretty pricey...i'm getting ready to install some hickory floors in my house.

i put on the Diamond water based stuff that you can buy al Lowes. Its supposedly the best stuff i can buy as a consumer. It has the Zinc oxide or whateve sandpaper is made of. Still scratches with out much trying though if you ask me. I have 7 coats of it on there. This is on oak. But these scratches are mostly in the poly. The cats when scared scratch to the wood or where the dog jumps off of the bed it kind of dents.

Status
Not open for further replies.