1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Black Walnut

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by kingfisher, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingfisher

kingfisher New Member

Loc:
    Michigan thumb
    I have a chance to get a bunch of Black walnut for next years wood and was wondering how good it burns?.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Dakotas Dad

Dakotas Dad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Kentucky
    It burns fine, but is at the lower end of the BTU scale. we have burned a lot of it over the years. Until recently we only burned in a fireplace, but have burned some in the woodstove, and it burnt fine.
  3. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    Black Walnut, I always have some laying around, I have a couple acres of black walnut growing around here. Look, when it's cold out, I always reach for the Hickory first, the oak next, the locust is tied with the oak, the cherry after that, and then the walnut. The walnut burns faster than the others for sure, but is better than sycamore, boxelder, willow, and pine.

For sure, I'd be gettin' as much of it as I could, 'specially if it's free :)

that's my .02
  4. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    With the warmer temps I've been burning some lately. It's the same btu wise as the adored cherry, I don't think the burn characteristics are as nice though. I wouldn't count on it being my cold weather go to wood but if it's all you got it'll work just fine.
  5. ncjaybird

ncjaybird New Member

Loc:
    Western NC
    I have burned plenty of black walnut over the years. As long as the wood is seasoned it burns fine, just quickly and leaves a lot of ashes. A black walnut that had blown down on our property and that I had cut up and stacked in the back of the wood shed got us through he blizzard of '93 here in WNC. The storm hit so late (mid March) most people, like me were just cleaning out the last of the wood in the sheds/piles. Thank goodness for this pile of walnut in the shed, it really saved us. We were without power for a week with temps below zero at night and 3-4 ft of snow, totally stranded.
  6. 70marlin

70marlin New Member

Loc:
    Grass Lake mi
    If it free and you have room for it go for it. I only burn it when I don't need much heat! But it alway's around and it alway's free sometimes you can get them to pay you to haul it away.
  7. PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Emmaus, Pennsylvania
    I always pick up Walnut even though it isn't the greatest fuelwood; must be something attractive about the aroma...splits very easily, burns so-so, sometimes chars more than burns. But I had some that I burned a few weeks ago that really rocked-it got me wondering if certain Walnut trees are better for fuelwood than others? These pieces seemed more solid than usual, if that makes any sense, and burned great with a lot of heat.
  8. Smokey Bear

Smokey Bear Member

Loc:
    Southwestern Pa
    I've burnt some Walnut, I would consider it similar to Cherry. I've had some Walnut that was really hard to split. It would crack and shoot several feet from the hydraulic splitter!
  9. RAY_PA

RAY_PA Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern PA
    I burn some of it every year. easy on the saw and the maul. BUrnsa fine. I try to use it in the fall and this time of year, but if I run into it in the middle of winter, it goes in the fire anyway.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.