Black Walnut?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwhunter85

Feeling the Heat
Aug 21, 2010
Sunfield, MI
I have a few huge black walnut trees I'd like to cut down. I hear the resale value on a black walnut is good. Before going that route, I'd also like to see about using it for my add-on Us-Stove 1557m wood burner. How well does black walnut burn?

Thanks!

Attachments

• black walnut.jpg
    black walnut.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 580
  • bw1.jpg
    bw1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 587
  • bw.jpg
    bw.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 570
Even if you sell the logs you will have quite a bit of wood from the larger limbs and tops. I think it burns good and seasons well.

Gary
(small world I am about halfway between Freeport and Lake Odessa)

Don't count on it!
Cherry brings more .
Better off having it sawn into lumber and gun blanks put on sticks and sell it yourself for a good buck!
The stump depending on how good it is may be worth more.

Awesome, burning some now! Everyone always says that it is worth big money but you will more then likely never find anyone. Lumbermills will not buy it cause they are afraid of stuff like eyehooks being in it. A local guy may want it but usually want to pay less then it would yeild in firewood. I had a bunch and had a guy offer me 30 bucks for 5 trunks. I told him its worth more then that in firewood and if he wanted to pay for equivilent oak delivered and stacked it was his to save me the work. I guess he thought I was kidding because I had been blown off by the guy twice. He showed up unannounced on a saturday while I had the saw in hand. After 20 minutes of lip service I told him we were not going anywhere so I started cutting. I thought the guy was going to have a heart attack. Heh, different strokes you know... It burns good and hot and dries faster then oak! I think it was about 1-1.5 cords

Bwhunter85 said:
I have a few huge black walnut trees I'd like to cut down. I hear the resale value on a black walnut is good. Before going that route, I'd also like to see about using it for my add-on Us-Stove 1557m wood burner. How well does black walnut burn?

Thanks!

Well in a 1557m I have one it will burn a pretty big walnut tree in a couple weeks this time of year!

I cant really tell how big it is....I run through 10-12 cords a years. A two cord tree would be well over 30 inchs across the base.

Burns hot,clean,splits easily & dries faster than most hardwoods.Smells good either cutting it or burning also.Have 1 load of salvaged tops & branches out back that I'm mixing in with oak,hickory etc +using for kindling along with my Juniper/Eastern Red Cedar.

Walnut is beautiful wood to work with, not just the color, but stable and smooth to work. But I doubt that you'll find anyone willing to pay much to cut down a few trees unless they are extraordinary.

Couldn't tell much of the size from the picture but it didn't look all that big or straight. Still I'd hate to see it get cut up for firewood when there is plenty of box elder around looking for a home, maybe give them a couple of decades until the next walnut boom?

Splits well by hand and burns well too. My FIL got logs milled a while back but the deal included being on the hook if there was any damage done to the saw blade by foreign matter. It did turn out well though.
Call a lumber yard to see what a board foot is going for.

3rd pick tells the story (top right). Not good for lumber!

smokinjay said:

Yeah, I don't think you're going to get a bidding war on those other two.

If you know the right people it could be put to a good use, otherwise it's squirel food or CO2.

Don't worry too much about hitting steel, the bandsaw blades they use around here are $40 which is a whole lot if you're making $.10 bd/ft sawing, but not that big a deal if you're the one making walnut lumber out of firewood.

benjamin said:
smokinjay said:

Yeah, I don't think you're going to get a bidding war on those other two.

If you know the right people it could be put to a good use, otherwise it's squirel food or CO2.

Don't worry too much about hitting steel, the bandsaw blades they use around here are $40 which is a whole lot if you're making $.10 bd/ft sawing, but not that big a deal if you're the one making walnut lumber out of firewood.

lol dead on.

Main trunk is not tall enough before it gets to the split so not much value in timber others are pretty small for timber. I burn walnut its a good wood burns well but its not like osage, hickory, oak etc. It is down on the btu list but is easy to split and seasons pretty quick. Great wood to mix in with some of the better woods.

Worth more in the stove than being able to sell it. Walnut splits easily and doesn't leave a lot of branch debris behind when you fell one.

Good point. I think the first pic looks like it could be walnut, but the other two I am not so sure. The second looks like maybe a Sugar Maple, but I am not sure. Close up pics would be helpful.

If it IS Black Walnut, I agree it makes nice firewood.

I live in the mid-michigan area and I just had two black walnut trees cut down last week. One was 4' - 5' across at the base but only 6' to the first branch. The other was two feet across but 15' to the first branch. Both were in areas that had houses close and I didnt feel comfortable dropping them. A company offered me $300 for both trees but they only took up to the first branch. They cut up all of the limbs in into the lengths that I asked and used a small tractor and made a pile for me to split. It took them a day and a half because of bad weather. My wife and I saw it as a win - win. If you would like the name of the company and contact info send me a pm and I'll give it to ya. Also, I came across another black walnut company in the Grand Rapids area that may work out better. Hope this helps.

Levantou said:
I live in the mid-michigan area and I just had two black walnut trees cut down last week. One was 4' - 5' across at the base but only 6' to the first branch. The other was two feet across but 15' to the first branch. Both were in areas that had houses close and I didnt feel comfortable dropping them. A company offered me $300 for both trees but they only took up to the first branch. They cut up all of the limbs in into the lengths that I asked and used a small tractor and made a pile for me to split. It took them a day and a half because of bad weather. My wife and I saw it as a win - win. If you would like the name of the company and contact info send me a pm and I'll give it to ya. Also, I came across another black walnut company in the Grand Rapids area that may work out better. Hope this helps.

Wow Thats big! I have been looking for one atleast 36 inchs but I need 9 feet. Any Pic's?

I do not have any walnut trees here but they are bringing a big premium here in value. I was talking to a lumber guy this week and they are paying $2.00 a board foot when cherry and white oak are 80 cents. Of course that is perfect wood.

I think Lee is right.

Burning it right now. I have about 4 cord cut and split right now out in the yard and 2/3 cord in the garage. We logged our farm 5 years ago and I still have a bunch of tops left to process. Now my wifes uncle just logged 60 walnut trees off his farm so there will be a lot of walnut going in my stove for many years to come.

I burned some that I got working with a tree guy.Dried for a year burned it and was disappointed by how little heat I got from it.Tree man said they use it for gun stocks.Check the gun stock folks maybe they'll pay for some of it.I didn't go that route because at the time I was hard up for firewood

Status
Not open for further replies.