1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Black Walnut

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by REM505, Mar 19, 2011.

1. REM505

REM505 New Member

Loc:
    Chester/Lancaster county area PA
    As per TWS advice I started looking for wood. I found a little bit. I believe it is walnut. I hate chopping it up, except for the fact that it smells great. Does that burn well? Is there any other use for these small logs besides burning? I'm going to stop splitting for now.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    If you can split a block sand it down and make a chopping block....They look sweeet!
  3. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    There are all sorts of uses for walnut. What do you like? Depending on your skills you could probably rive out a nice box for the wife. If you contrast it with maple it will look sweet.

Matt
  4. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    I burn a bit of black walnut. I like it a lot. Seasons pretty quickly and burns great. It's not at the top of the BTU charts, but I often feel that they underrate it a little bit. I'm not saying it's as high as Oak, but I think it comes closer than those charts often show. And the fact that it seasons in 12-24 months as opposed to 3 years is a big plus, IMO. Get what you can.
  5. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    +1 Cut a few more random blocks today,3 x 8 x 17,15% moisture.Kinda rough but will smooth up on bandsaw/planer.Finished roughing out a couple more 4 x 12 x18,sealed the ends will let them sit a couple months longer.
  6. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    Yes, that is Black Walnut and the wood is great for a lot of things. However, it is also very common in Pennsylvania and you're going to keep finding it chopped up for firewood. I wouldn't feel too bad about splitting it. If you find realy large diameter or long, straight logs, save those. Burn the smaller or crooked stuff.
  7. REM505

REM505 New Member

Loc:
    OK two questions. What kind of chopping block are you talking about? Also I'm not sure I know what I would be doing if I rived something. I think I'll keep a couple of pieces for a friend of mine who works with wood. Or if there's a woodworker on the forums near me.
  8. xbunzx

xbunzx New Member

Loc:
    Forreston IL
    I burn it at the beginning and the end of the burning season. I wouldn't say I could keep up with the heat using it in January or february.
  9. jp savage

jp savage New Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    A friend and I got together to cut up and remove 60 Black Walnut tops 2 years ago, off a farm down the road. I have been mixing it with Ash, Oak, Maple, Cherry and a few other species of wood. There have been many days and nights that Walnut was all I burned. I have no issues with burning it. At the rate we are going I will have enough wood for 3 or 4 years. I think right now I have about 5 cords of Black Walnut.
  10. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Pretty simple and walnut blocks are one of the best!

Attached Files:

11. REM505

REM505 New Member

Loc:
    Very nice, thanks for the pic. I couldn't see the dimensions in my head, thought they might be feet, but that is thick. I don't have much room here so all our cutting boards are 1/2" thick or roll up plastic. I'd have to keep something like that in the shed.
  12. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    That one is 2-1/2 inch thick. The log your dealing with will decide what the dimensions will be. Even small blocks of walnut are very use able.