Black Walnut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

REM505

As per TWS advice I started looking for wood. I found a little bit. I believe it is walnut. I hate chopping it up, except for the fact that it smells great. Does that burn well? Is there any other use for these small logs besides burning? I'm going to stop splitting for now.

5540786611_3abeb3343f.jpg
5540781855_209fc825c9.jpg

If you can split a block sand it down and make a chopping block....They look sweeet!

There are all sorts of uses for walnut. What do you like? Depending on your skills you could probably rive out a nice box for the wife. If you contrast it with maple it will look sweet.

Matt

I burn a bit of black walnut. I like it a lot. Seasons pretty quickly and burns great. It's not at the top of the BTU charts, but I often feel that they underrate it a little bit. I'm not saying it's as high as Oak, but I think it comes closer than those charts often show. And the fact that it seasons in 12-24 months as opposed to 3 years is a big plus, IMO. Get what you can.

smokinjay said:
If you can split a block sand it down and make a chopping block....They look sweeet!

+1 Cut a few more random blocks today,3 x 8 x 17,15% moisture.Kinda rough but will smooth up on bandsaw/planer.Finished roughing out a couple more 4 x 12 x18,sealed the ends will let them sit a couple months longer.

Yes, that is Black Walnut and the wood is great for a lot of things. However, it is also very common in Pennsylvania and you're going to keep finding it chopped up for firewood. I wouldn't feel too bad about splitting it. If you find realy large diameter or long, straight logs, save those. Burn the smaller or crooked stuff.

smokinjay said:

OK two questions. What kind of chopping block are you talking about? Also I'm not sure I know what I would be doing if I rived something. I think I'll keep a couple of pieces for a friend of mine who works with wood. Or if there's a woodworker on the forums near me.

I burn it at the beginning and the end of the burning season. I wouldn't say I could keep up with the heat using it in January or february.

A friend and I got together to cut up and remove 60 Black Walnut tops 2 years ago, off a farm down the road. I have been mixing it with Ash, Oak, Maple, Cherry and a few other species of wood. There have been many days and nights that Walnut was all I burned. I have no issues with burning it. At the rate we are going I will have enough wood for 3 or 4 years. I think right now I have about 5 cords of Black Walnut.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

+1 Cut a few more random blocks today,3 x 8 x 17,15% moisture.Kinda rough but will smooth up on bandsaw/planer.Finished roughing out a couple more 4 x 12 x18,sealed the ends will let them sit a couple months longer.

Pretty simple and walnut blocks are one of the best!

Attachments

• resize block.jpg
    resize block.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 195
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

Very nice, thanks for the pic. I couldn't see the dimensions in my head, thought they might be feet, but that is thick. I don't have much room here so all our cutting boards are 1/2" thick or roll up plastic. I'd have to keep something like that in the shed.

Jack Wagon said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

Very nice, thanks for the pic. I couldn't see the dimensions in my head, thought they might be feet, but that is thick. I don't have much room here so all our cutting boards are 1/2" thick or roll up plastic. I'd have to keep something like that in the shed.

That one is 2-1/2 inch thick. The log your dealing with will decide what the dimensions will be. Even small blocks of walnut are very use able.

Status
Not open for further replies.