Black widows scorpions and centipedes?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southbound

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2008
mid south tn
Our house gets over run with these little critters every spring and my wife just killed the first black widow of the year less then ten min. ago.....

I am tired of getting up in the middle of the night and finding the black widows on the commode or reaching in the dryer only to find a scorpion running around inside it... So far we have been lucky and no one has gotten bitten or stung or what ever you want to call it..I really need some ideas of how to keep these things out.. We live in a 3 year old double wide (yes I know it's a trailer ) It has a rock foundation under it and is very air tight and I can't find where they are coming in at...We have pets and lots of little children running around so I'm not sold on spraying poison on the inside of the house but we need to do something before one of the kids gets tagged by one...

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome....

Thanks in advance...

And mods if this is in the wrong place sorry and please move it to where it needs to be,thanks...

hi southbound
i hate to spend somebody else's money but you have a real problem there having kids that might not be able to tell you what happened. if i were you i would call in a pro. for the second reason of you don't know how they're getting in. the pro can find it and take care of it. and if your there when he arrives you'll know what to look for in the future.

Man, I've seen the kinds of critters you have in TN, and I'm glad we don't have them here. Snakes, spiders big as golf balls, ticks... Not for me. I dodged scorpions and brown recluses when I lived in NV, and rattlesnakes on the other side of the mountains here in OR, but I'm quite happy to live where possums are the most dangerous animals around. Vacuum the heck out of the place on a regular basis, and make sure you move the furniture when you do. I'm sure you can't keep them out, but you can make it impossible for them to stick around.

It's threads like this that make me think maybe Michigan winters aren't all that bad. Mosquitos are about the only bothersome insect we have! And no really dangerous snakes to speak of. Thanks for brightening my day a bit...sorry it was at your expense, however!

Some chickens & road runners will take care of them.

I'm gonna second the "pro" suggestion. The list of nasty little critters you just gave would not make me a happy boy in my own home. Besides the extermination, hopefully the pro could give you some other ideas or point out things to improve on.

I watched one of those "exterminator" shows once (probably why the show is no longer on), and the dude commented on a couple of things that I would have never thought of. Things like night lights attracting flying bugs that attracts spiders, etc. Its probably cheaper than an ER visit.

Gonna vote pro. May be apply to apply something to keep 'em out.

Status
Not open for further replies.