Blackened chimney cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlasko

Sep 24, 2008
Western PA
This is my first year with a woodburner. As I gather more wood from outside, I'm constantly looked at the chimney to measure how much smoke is pouring out. My quesiton is, are your chimney caps blacked or darkened brown? I have a triple wall exterior chimney. I've only been burning for about 2 months now and yes my wood is seasoned well.

Since the cap is not insulated it gets cold, so it's to be expected that it can get some black on it. If it isn't dripping creosote and running down the outside of the chimney, I wouldn't worry about it.

what would creosote running down the side indicate? I didnt know creosote could be a liquid.

ahhh...that makes sense....nah no creosote leaking anywhere, was just making sure since I haven't ever burned before....much thanks!

mikepinto65 said:
what would creosote running down the side indicate? I didnt know creosote could be a liquid.

When the wood has too much moisture in it the creosote can be pretty moist. You can actually get "creosote-cicles" hanging off the cap in the winter.

Blackening a chimney cap is normal. "smoke is pouring out" isn't!

mikepinto65 said:
I didnt know creosote could be a liquid.
In ourr trapper's cabin we had a redneck barrel stove that we burned all manner of crappy wood in. The creosote would seep out through the joints in the stovepipe so we took down the pipe and put it back upside down. That way the creosote stayed inside the pipe and dripped back inside the stove. The outdoor section of pipe got so rotten that it crumbled we touched it.

jtp10181 said:
mikepinto65 said:

When the wood has too much moisture in it the creosote can be pretty moist. You can actually get "creosote-cicles" hanging off the cap in the winter.

I'll be sure not to eat those ones if i get em =)

LL,
Thats the way stove pipe is supposed to be put together. Opposite of furnace stuff. This is the exact reason one should put the pipe in that way.
Chad

Thanks for keeping me on my toes BB....I know that I shouldn't have smoke to run efficiently, however since you bring it up, when you turn that damper down real low on the Englander, it's just not going to burn as hot right? Would some smoke be acceptable for overnight burns? or should I really just not have any smoke at anytime....still learning here....

Woodsmoke said:
Thanks for keeping me on my toes BB....I know that I shouldn't have smoke to run efficiently, however since you bring it up, when you turn that damper down real low on the Englander, it's just not going to burn as hot right? Would some smoke be acceptable for overnight burns? or should I really just not have any smoke at anytime....still learning here....

It takes some practice, and 20% or so moisture wood but that hoss wants to burn hot come hell or high water. Along about 400 degrees stove top temp start moving that rod in in one inch steps until it is three quarters closed at a temp of 550 and just watch that sucker roll. Your clue that it is ready to run and to do the final turn down step is when you see the rear burn tubes start the secondary burn of the gases on top of the wood load. With good wood and start-up all that smoke is going to be burning like a blue cloud on top of the wood before it ever makes it to the chimney.

okay.... I'm sitting right next to this stove in my boxers getting ready to try it....I think we have been dampening the whole shebang down way too fast....I'll try the gradual turn down...man this stove is has got to be about one of the all time top things I've ever bought.

My cap is brown on the outside where exposed to exhaust and black on the inside. The rest is pretty silvery.

Woodsmoke said:
okay.... I'm sitting right next to this stove in my boxers getting ready to try it....
:shut: Now I gots to get the bottle of mind bleach out. :shut:

Status
Not open for further replies.