Blackflies et al.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
I am uncertain what forum channel in which to post this question..

ARE THE BLACKFLIES AS BAD WHERE YOU LIVE AS WHERE I AM?

Normally at this time of the year, there's nothing. Yet again, tonight I nearly got carried away by blackflies to their nest!!! Incredible amounts.

We have had a lot of rain. SHowers every 2nd day. But my goodness this is getting CRAZY.

Cheers

Andrew

I'm located in northern maine. Kind of in the same region as you? The blackflies have made a few visits lately, but not horrible. The mosquitoes have really been hot, but as you know, thats kinda normal. But as you know, our normal would drive most people insane dealing with blackflies and mosquitoes. :)

Not here Andrew but we do have a new hatch of skeeters we'd gladly give away.

Velvet: LUcky you. Normally our "bug" season consists of the following: 2 weeks of blackflies in June. 2 weeks of mosquitos in July. And that's it! This year, we had JUNE bugs in JULY. Things are getting off whack...

Flyingcow: Northeastern Maine touches a little part of QUebec that is about 4-5 hours from here. I am originally from NB, which borders Maine. ANd yes, you're right. If half of the population this year had our "normal", pesticides would still be in full force.

Backwoods: consider yourself lucky. I love the outdoors, everything about it. EXCEPT THE BUG BITES. ;)
Andrew

Wow, 2 crops of Black flies in one year is bad news. We get them down here for 2-5 weeks in April/May, but have never had a second coming, even in cool, rainy years. I think they prefer to lay eggs in moving water - did the extra rain cause a normally dry stream in Summer to start flowing again? I hope for your sake those miserable little suckers disappear in a hurry.

Yes, 2 crops. it has been HELL. Insane. Yes, moving water is what they like. MOsquitos in stagnant water. Either way, we have had too much rain in June and that is what cause the second wave. It sucks! I want a Mosquito Magnet...works like a charm according to a friend.

A

Status
Not open for further replies.