1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Blackflies et al.

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by Swedishchef, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Swedishchef

Swedishchef Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    I am uncertain what forum channel in which to post this question..

ARE THE BLACKFLIES AS BAD WHERE YOU LIVE AS WHERE I AM?

Normally at this time of the year, there's nothing. Yet again, tonight I nearly got carried away by blackflies to their nest!!! Incredible amounts.

We have had a lot of rain. SHowers every 2nd day. But my goodness this is getting CRAZY.

Cheers

Andrew

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    They were bad this way here too, but only til early July or so.
  3. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    I'm located in northern maine. Kind of in the same region as you? The blackflies have made a few visits lately, but not horrible. The mosquitoes have really been hot, but as you know, thats kinda normal. But as you know, our normal would drive most people insane dealing with blackflies and mosquitoes. :)
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Not here Andrew but we do have a new hatch of skeeters we'd gladly give away.
  5. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    Velvet: LUcky you. Normally our "bug" season consists of the following: 2 weeks of blackflies in June. 2 weeks of mosquitos in July. And that's it! This year, we had JUNE bugs in JULY. Things are getting off whack...

Flyingcow: Northeastern Maine touches a little part of QUebec that is about 4-5 hours from here. I am originally from NB, which borders Maine. ANd yes, you're right. If half of the population this year had our "normal", pesticides would still be in full force.

Backwoods: consider yourself lucky. I love the outdoors, everything about it. EXCEPT THE BUG BITES. ;)
    Andrew
  6. willworkforwood

willworkforwood Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Ma
    Wow, 2 crops of Black flies in one year is bad news. We get them down here for 2-5 weeks in April/May, but have never had a second coming, even in cool, rainy years. I think they prefer to lay eggs in moving water - did the extra rain cause a normally dry stream in Summer to start flowing again? I hope for your sake those miserable little suckers disappear in a hurry.
  7. Swedishchef

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    Yes, 2 crops. it has been HELL. Insane. Yes, moving water is what they like. MOsquitos in stagnant water. Either way, we have had too much rain in June and that is what cause the second wave. It sucks! I want a Mosquito Magnet...works like a charm according to a friend.

A