Blase King, WoodChuck and PSG

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jasnake65

Dec 18, 2012
Mich
Found two local installers and that sell Blase King, woodchuck and PSG. Be about a week before they come out and see my set up and give me the pricing. Beem reading and looks like everyone is happy with the PSG. Did a search and found nothing about the Blase King and some info about the Woodchuck 2900. Does anyone have any info on the Blase King? Is there still a tax deductable for 2013? Has anyone hooked on up to Zone Heating system as I have with the current LP unit.
Anything you would have done differently once it was installed?

There's been a few users of the blaze king in the past, I think herbster? is one of them. The few people that had them seemed to like them. There's also quite a few users on here of the Woodchuck and there's a few of us with Caddy's. The Blaze King is a Catalyst furnace, the PSG is a non-cat furnace and the Woodchuck is a standard woodfurnace. Out of the three, if you have local support I would choose PSG, or Blaze King. The Woodchuck is a well built furnace, but contains nothing special as far as efficiency is concerned, wood consumption will be higher than the other two. The PSG being EPA-B415.1, and the Blaze King being B415.1 make them both clean burners.

With the nature of a wood furnace putting heat into the house whether needed or not (to cool the firebox), I don't think a zoned system will work. A central furnace cycles off demand and shuts off. A wood furnace does not, as long as there's fuel, there's heat. I'm no hvac tech, but I can't see it being good for a system with a wood furnace.

FWIW, I turn my BK stove "off" pretty frequently mid burn cycle when I go to work and know I am going to get decent solar gain. Then, turn the tstat back up when I get home and continue the burn cycle. Probably wouldn't want to do it as often as a gas furnace but a couple times a burn cycle probably isn't the end of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.