Blast 1557 Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John73

Jan 25, 2009
Southern PA
Hello new to the forum… I was wondering if anyone who ownes one of these could show me how to hook up a thermostat up too it…

We just went and bought a new 1557 and I don’t have duct work yet we just are going to use it as is to heat up the basmnent and my garage and then later install duct work…

Should I install and damper in the stove pipe too??

My wall is block and i was wondering how far back i could set the stove…

I want to be able to turn the blowers on and off when I want too..

Also might I add we just had a Supa Flu Liner installed and it cost 4,200 dollars they told us to burn our Stove which was an old shenendoah at 525-550 for the first 15 mins or so then to burn between 220-300 degrees is that hot enough ...

Thank You ,
John

Well the only way you would install a thermostat is if you have the optional forced draft kit on back. I wouldn't bother buying one. They don't work well. I would install a manual damper in the stove pipe. Its recommended in the manual, just in case you ever need it. If your wall is block, then wherever. The clearances are to combustables. I would leave it out some, just in case you would need to get behind the unit. As far as turning the blowers on and off when you want, not a good idea. They can easily overheat due to the btus of the unit. Stick with the thermodisc, or limit/control. You could get away with those temps, but I keep mine around 350 to 400 above the door. Hope this helps.

John73 said:
Hello new to the forum… I was wondering if anyone who ownes one of these could show me how to hook up a thermostat up too it…

We just went and bought a new 1557 and I don’t have duct work yet we just are going to use it as is to heat up the basmnent and my garage and then later install duct work…

Should I install and damper in the stove pipe too??

My wall is block and i was wondering how far back i could set the stove…

I want to be able to turn the blowers on and off when I want too..

Also might I add we just had a Supa Flu Liner installed and it cost 4,200 dollars they told us to burn our Stove which was an old shenendoah at 525-550 for the first 15 mins or so then to burn between 220-300 degrees is that hot enough ...

Thank You ,

John

I put a damper in the stove pipe and it helped alot. My stove is about 8 inches off a block wall with noproblem. If you turn off the blowers on that stove with a good fire in it that thing will get HOT !!!! watch out doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.