Blaze King 30 Hours and still burning the same load!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiram Maxim

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2007
SE Michigan
I loaded the Blaze King yesterday at 12 Noon.....Fast forward 30 hrs later!

There is still wood in the firebox, stove top reads 275 °F , CAT still in active zone.

I have the T-stat in the lowest position.

I'm honestly amazed with this stove.

However it seems like I cannot get the stove to get lower in temp? With the T-stat in the lowest position I assumed it wouldn't be so warm?

Cheers Hiram :)

30 hrs is amazing! Turn it up 275 is on the "cool" side lol
You really are making me jealous

Did you turn it all the way down to the stop? I often do that during the day and then turn it back up when we get home from work. I don't have a stove top thermometer but the stove gets cool and the cat thermometer drops down into the low inactive. When we turn it up, the fire takes right off and the cat thermometer goes right back into the active zone.

I think that stove had you at hello and I dont blame you. Let us know what you think when the honeymoon is over.

SolarAndWood said:
Did you turn it all the way down to the stop? I often do that during the day and then turn it back up when we get home from work. I don't have a stove top thermometer but the stove gets cool and the cat thermometer drops down into the low inactive. When we turn it up, the fire takes right off and the cat thermometer goes right back into the active zone.

yes, all the way to the left. is there maybe something wrong with the T-stat?

Seems awful warm for being down to the stop. Is your door adjusted properly?

Hiram Maxim said:

There is still wood in the firebox, stove top reads 275 °F , CAT still in active zone.

However it seems like I cannot get the stove to get lower in temp? With the T-stat in the lowest position I assumed it wouldn't be so warm?

Liar! Liar!! :)

SolarAndWood said:
do you see a little bit of smoke out the stack after a little bit when you do that?

ecocavalier02 said:
SolarAndWood said:
do you see a little bit of smoke out the stack after a little bit when you do that?

No, but I am usually at least 12 hours into the burn cycle before I do it.

just a big pile of coals then mostly?

There is plenty of wood still in there but starting to show the horseshoe around front center.

Understandably there are only so many BTU's in a load of wood, but arguably I wonder if the efficiency is increased due to the fact that the stove has more time to absorb and direct the heat back into the house.

I think the cat does a good job of burning up the smoke!
The pipe temps are so much cooler then my old non cat BK at any stove top temp.

SolarAndWood said:
Seems awful warm for being down to the stop. Is your door adjusted properly?

I don't know?
its pretty darn tight!

If you are getting to much heat from the stove
load small loads & set the stat a little higher.
When i started burning this year I was using 3 splits to burn thru the night (OA temp in the mid to high 30s)
You won't get the extended burn times but it should last all night & then the house isn't 80 degree range.

Now I'm up to stuffed full at night, 12 to 14 hour burn times. Stat on 2 +/-
OAT has been around 0 °f at night, mid teens day time.
3 splits (+/-) to finish off the day & then full load at night again

You should have some cold air headed your way soon, then the stove will really shine :)

You forgot to mention that its been 60 here in Michigan the last two days. might have something to do with it

Rockey said:
Understandably there are only so many BTU's in a load of wood, but arguably I wonder if the efficiency is increased due to the fact that the stove has more time to absorb and direct the heat back into the house.

I think it's because the flue temps are so frickin' low, which is another side of the same coin. Can anyone tell me if the King/Princess' flue temp is that cool on higher burns?

Hiram Maxim said:

At least you know where I was coming from these past few years with my posts.
Enjoy it man. Now BB thinks you are full of it. :lol:

I am surprised it still heats with the T Stat that low. I keep mine straight up and down unless I need more heat and I have no trouble with 24hr burn times.

I guess maybe depends on chimney and everything, maybe I don't have as good of a draft?

Hiram also has very well seasoned wood. Less moisture to rob heat out of the Cat during the process. Dry wood smokes easier and wants to burn. Wood with more moisture content with air removed wants to go out.

Hanko said:
You forgot to mention that its been 60 here in Michigan the last two days. might have something to do with it

I waited until the outside temps fell below 30 degrees before I start up the cat insert. Its on its ways towards you Mich...... 15 degrees this morning and very windy...................

Wood I have is dry as well. Spruce and Birch that was cut 2 years ago.

north of 60 said:
Hiram also has very well seasoned wood. Less moisture to rob heat out of the Cat during the process. Dry wood smokes easier and wants to burn. Wood with more moisture content with air removed wants to go out.

Status
Not open for further replies.