Blaze King Ashford 30.1 draft question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gforcefd

Dec 9, 2014
Ithaca, NY
Hello All,

I love this forum. I originally found it when I was installing a Englander 3000sq ft wood furnace. Well I have changed houses and made a big upgrade. I just installed a Blaze King Ashford 30.1 attached two about 6 food of double wall Duravent DVL and then to a triple wall Duravent SS chimney. This goes up through the house about 20 feet.

My question is in the attached picture. In order to get the stove where I wanted in the room I had to go with a 45 degree elbow directly off the stove. I know that Blaze King says 2 foot minimum before elbows. Does anyone see a problem with this install? I did the first break in fire yesterday. It was about 70 degrees out and I had good draft right away, but the windows and outside door where open so I don't know if that counts. The thermostate never seemed to get very high in the active zone, but while I was there for about 3 hours it stayed active about 1/3rd way into the zone. Also not a lot of wood in the stove for the first fire.

Attachments

• 20161015_133029.jpg
    20161015_133029.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 403
With 20' you should get good draw in spite of the elbow down low. If you can burn at 70*, there's the proof. I'm sure others will be along shortly to comment on the stack configuration.

Proof is in the pudding. It's not ideal but consider some other brands like Woodstock with rear vents and most folks put a 90 degree bend really close to the back. The BK manual has recommendations like 2' before a bend, and then they have requirements like spark protection hearth. Not following a recommendation makes you more responsible for related performance issues but does not make the install unsafe.

Reactions: Gforcefd
If it works id say you are good. My stove (woodstock) goes straight back over 2' before 90 up 15' and drafts fine below 60F.

Reactions: Gforcefd
Thank you all. I guess I can always make changes later but it is good to hear your comments.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

I love how you followed the general angle of the stair. Nice job!

Haha. I didn't even notice that until the wife told me that was what she liked too. I just was concerned about making the stove fit in the spot :) If I went straight up with the stove pipe the stove would have been sitting about a foot into the kitchen area

Well I bring back my post because last night I was getting the "Ashford smoke smell" which I see is a common theme on these boards. I have a light campfire smell coming from the front vent where the heated air comes out. Right now I am wondering about draft and maybe the double wall adapter where it connects to the stove. I might first start by buying a telescoping pipe and move the stove over a bit so I can get that minimum two foot height requirement and see if that helps. My glass is pretty black on the bottom two thirds as well. I have been trying to do the 20 minutes on high burn after reloads as well.

Well I bring back my post because last night I was getting the "Ashford smoke smell" which I see is a common theme on these boards. I have a light campfire smell coming from the front vent where the heated air comes out. Right now I am wondering about draft and maybe the double wall adapter where it connects to the stove. I might first start by buying a telescoping pipe and move the stove over a bit so I can get that minimum two foot height requirement and see if that helps. My glass is pretty black on the bottom two thirds as well. I have been trying to do the 20 minutes on high burn after reloads as well.
How cold was it when you were burning the stove? Draft will undoubtedly improve with colder outside temps, and that should help.

How cold was it when you were burning the stove? Draft will undoubtedly improve with colder outside temps, and that should help.
Did anyone ever actually REALLY solve the smoke smell issue with that stove ?

Did anyone ever actually REALLY solve the smoke smell issue with that stove ?
It was addressed with some success using a variety of fixes but I think a few still have a problem, to varying degrees.

It has been in the 40's around here during the day and 30's at night. I definitely only seem to smell it the first hour or so of a reload. I am thinking it is coming around the stove pipe adapter possibly or the probe for the cat as that just kind of sits down in the stove without any kind of seal around it. It is going to be 60 this weekend so I will let the stove go out and give it a good once over to check everything. I think the bypass handle is really hard to engage and disengage so maybe something with that will point in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.