Blaze king Ashford

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bornhunter04

Nov 14, 2014
st. louis, mo
We had an Ashford 20 installed this year so this is our first year running it. The problem I'm encountering is that I can keep a fire/flames going when starting or Reloading the stove when I close the door.

Sequence, turn thermostat to high, open bypass, build fire with door cracked, once things are engulfed I close the door waiting for the cat to go active. Usually the flames go out immediately on closing g the door or they linger a couple minutes then go out. Also, I can't seem to get the cat to stay active for more than a few hours...

The wood is dry all less than 20% cedar, oak, hickory.

On the thermostat should you feel resistance when you turn the knob? Mine turns freely, how do you know its actually changing a setting?

So any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

You should be able to hear the butterfly slapping closed when you turn the knob down quickly. If you have numbers, it should be between 1.25-1.75ish. Personally, I would take the cover off to verify operation, but don't do it if you're not comfortable with it.

If that's all working, then you are left with fuel and draft. Are you checking moisture on a freshly split face, with the probes parallel to the grain?

Describe your chimney setup in detail, from stove to cap.

Check that the knob is actually turning the shaft. Their is a set screw in the knob that will loosen over time.

Yes wood measures on freshly split face.

Chimney goes straight up through the roof. 13' I believe.

I have a sneaking suspicion the screw is loose. Does anyone know what size Allen key it takes? I've not been able to find one that fits it.

I don't remember if the allen screw is metric or antique, I have both sets, but it is a common size.

The Tstat knob should be harder to turn than the combination lock on your locker, easier than a lug wrench. Easier than screws holding rings clamped around a rifle scope, a couple inch pounds to twist.

If it is correct maybe like a stiff doorknob that you maybe wanna spray some graphite in this weekend, but not so stiff like a dead bolt you are worried about breaking the key off in the lock.

Try this, turn the stat knob all the way clockwise. It should hit a hard stop pointing straight down. If not, it has slipped and needs to be repositioned and tightened.

I found an allen key that fits 5/64"

I tightened the knob down and i can hear something inside moving when i turn the knob.

However, when i turn the knob i do not have a hard stop @ 6. I have a hard stop @ 12 and 10 so it almost makes a complete revolution. I spun the knob around and tried tightening it with the line at 12 and 6 and i seem to get approximately the same results. It seems to give me the full range of motion through the lines on the side.

Should i contact the dealer or is it fine to use like this? I don't want to tear anything up inside, is there a specific way to the knob needs to be positioned when you tighten it?

Yes wood measures on freshly split face.

Chimney goes straight up through the roof. 13' I believe.

I have a sneaking suspicion the screw is loose. Does anyone know what size Allen key it takes? I've not been able to find one that fits it.
Your short flue might be a problem. I have read in the past that you need at least 15'.

Add three feet of Chimney and call me in the morning.

With the knob tight to the shaft turn it all the way clockwise. Loosen the set screw and set the knob to the six o clock position with out turning the shaft. With the stove cold you should hear the flapper close in the 3- 1 o clock position.

With the knob tight to the shaft turn it all the way clockwise. Loosen the set screw and set the knob to the six o clock position with out turning the shaft. With the stove cold you should hear the flapper close in the 3- 1 o clock position.
Exactly. Don't worry about how far she goes ccw. Set the cw stop at 6 o'clock.

As you twist the knob you can feel and hear the internal stat mechanism working. It's a ring and pinion setup that makes a 90 degree bend in the stat so you can sometimes feel the gear teeth.

Exactly. Don't worry about how far she goes ccw. Set the cw stop at 6 o'clock.

As you twist the knob you can feel and hear the internal stat mechanism working. It's a ring and pinion setup that makes a 90 degree bend in the stat so you can sometimes feel the gear teeth.
That did it! Got it going good now. Cat has stayed active for 5+ hours on a mix of cedar and hickory. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Highbeam and bioman
Status
Not open for further replies.