Blaze King Build Differences - What makes them 'better'?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Todd said:
Osburning said:
I see most comparisons to tube stoves. But how do blaze kings compare to other cat stoves. Does the Princess, Chinook, King burn longer and more efficiently than similar sized cat stoves from Woodstock, Vermont Casting, Etc.

Are Blaze Kings priced close to other Cat stoves of similar sizes.

All the efficiencies and GPH numbers are similar with all cat stoves but the BK's stretch out the burns longer than any other.

So how long do you think a 4+ft³ Woodstock stove wood burn? You get 12 hours out of a Keystone, which is less than 2ft³(?).

There were a couple posts earlier in this thread from a couple of Buck burners. The 91 is a big stove, but it's not going to go for 36 hours between loads. I think Blaze Kings long burns come from well regulated primary air,and good secondary air supply to the cat to keep lit off. I think Woodstock does that pretty well, too, just without the thermostat. I would have to believe the firebox geometry has to come into play somewhere, too. I have never heard anybody say 'Wow. That's a great looking stove!' I'm not turned off by it, it's just very uninspiring. I have to believe they wood sell a lot more stoves if they had a different shape. Maybe they are on to something better, and we'll see a bigger Chinook, or at least something different.

All the rumors we have heard suggest they are going smaller not bigger. I'd love to see a stove half again bigger than the King.

jeff_t said:
Todd said:
Osburning said:
I see most comparisons to tube stoves. But how do blaze kings compare to other cat stoves. Does the Princess, Chinook, King burn longer and more efficiently than similar sized cat stoves from Woodstock, Vermont Casting, Etc.

Are Blaze Kings priced close to other Cat stoves of similar sizes.

All the efficiencies and GPH numbers are similar with all cat stoves but the BK's stretch out the burns longer than any other.

So how long do you think a 4+ft³ Woodstock stove wood burn? You get 12 hours out of a Keystone, which is less than 2ft³(?).

There were a couple posts earlier in this thread from a couple of Buck burners. The 91 is a big stove, but it's not going to go for 36 hours between loads. I think Blaze Kings long burns come from well regulated primary air,and good secondary air supply to the cat to keep lit off. I think Woodstock does that pretty well, too, just without the thermostat. I would have to believe the firebox geometry has to come into play somewhere, too. I have never heard anybody say 'Wow. That's a great looking stove!' I'm not turned off by it, it's just very uninspiring. I have to believe they wood sell a lot more stoves if they had a different shape. Maybe they are on to something better, and we'll see a bigger Chinook, or at least something different.

Well, you would think a bigger 4 cu ft Woodstock to burn twice as long as a 2 cu ft Woodstock but I don't think that is the case without a t-stat to control it. Wouldn't 4 cu ft of wood outgas the same as 2 cu ft of wood but put out more BTU's? In other words if you took a 2 cu ft Woodstock copied and doubled everything in size into a 4cu ft Woodstock wouldn't it still burn the same amount of time but because it has more mass would put out more BTU's? The 4 cu ft stove would have to have twice the size of the air intake of the 2 cu ft stove to burn clean enough to pass the EPA or a device like the BK t-stat to regulate the air as needed.

SolarAndWood said:
All the rumors we have heard suggest they are going smaller not bigger. I'd love to see a stove half again bigger than the King.

BKVP told me they have 2 new 1.8 cu ft cat stoves coming out soon. One is a smaller Chinook and may come out any day and the other is a more traditional looking steel stove that will be out a little later. He also said they are getting 20 hour burns out of them with Larch.

20 hour burn times are great. Just need them at 50K+ btus per hour ;)

Todd said:
SolarAndWood said:

BKVP told me they have 2 new 1.8 cu ft cat stoves coming out soon. One is a smaller Chinook and may come out any day and the other is a more traditional looking steel stove that will be out a little later. He also said they are getting 20 hour burns out of them with Larch.

That would be interesting to see. Even though I'd never heard of BK before joining here and had already bought and installed the Republic, I would have never considered on of their current stoves because of the looks. I wonder what clearances will be like? I plan on keeping the Republic a darn long time, but would consider the BK line when looking for a replacement if they looked better and kept the burn times. Heck, if our biz keeps us away from home enough and we need to extend our burn times I might consider one sooner than later. 20 hours is pretty awesome.

eclecticcottage said:
That would be interesting to see. Even though I'd never heard of BK before joining here and had already bought and installed the Republic, I would have never considered on of their current stoves because of the looks. I wonder what clearances will be like? I plan on keeping the Republic a darn long time, but would consider the BK line when looking for a replacement if they looked better and kept the burn times. Heck, if our biz keeps us away from home enough and we need to extend our burn times I might consider one sooner than later. 20 hours is pretty awesome.

Do you really feel the looks of the Plain Jane Republic is far superior to the Princess or King? When I look at them I see plain ole steel stoves, the Republic has the arched door that's the only real difference. It's not like the Lopi is a nice piece of stone or cast iron. I thought my Endeavor was slightly better looking than my Princess due to the step top, cast door frame and sexy legs but that's about it.

rdust said:
eclecticcottage said:

Do you really feel the looks of the Plain Jane Republic is far superior to the Princess or King? When I look at them I see plain ole steel stoves, the Republic has the arched door that's the only real difference. It's not like the Lopi is a nice piece of stone or cast iron. I thought my Endeavor was slightly better looking than my Princess due to the step top, cast door frame and sexy legs but that's about it.

I've only seen them in pictures so I can't be sure-but they look like the door/front tilts up almost, rather than facing straight forward. Maybe it's how the photos make them look? Something about that bothers me for some reason. At least the king and princess. The Chinook would look ok on legs, I don't like the pedestal look at all (my republic has the cast legs, I wouldn't have gotten it if it was pedestal only).

I know the Republic isn't fancy, I didn't really need fancy, or I would have looked at VC or Jotul. Actually, I really like the looks of the Dutchwest cat stove. I went with Lopi more for the dealer though, since we were happy with them (and the stoves to be honest) with the two we have in the old house-both of which they installed. Then there were the clearances, I don't think there are many that can beat the 4.25" rear clearance of the Republic/Endeavor. We had the stove on order before we even closed on the Cottage, and at the time, we didn't know we would be ripping out the entire living room floor and thus removing two closets that took space in the living room. We needed every inch we could get since it was only going to be about 10-11' deep (it's now 14' with the closets not being replaced).

I don't want to sound like a stove snob, lol, but I just don't like the BK's looks-even if my stove is a plain jane. Just a matter of personal taste-but since it's my house, it's my taste that matters :p

With my clearance issues a Chinook would be the only model I could consider. I may have considered one had it been available in 2010. That being said I will be using my current stove for a good 20 years.

I was just comparing the Princess to the Chinook and something weird I found.

Princess: 20hr burn with 60lbs hardwood, 82.5% efficiency

Chinook: 30+ hr burn with 40lbs hardwood, 76.1% efficiency

I guess it could be possible, but that Chinook must be smoldering the fire really hard.

eclecticcottage said:
I've only seen them in pictures so I can't be sure-but they look like the door/front tilts up almost, rather than facing straight forward. Maybe it's how the photos make them look? Something about that bothers me for some reason. At least the king and princess. The Chinook would look ok on legs, I don't like the pedestal look at all (my republic has the cast legs, I wouldn't have gotten it if it was pedestal only).

I know the Republic isn't fancy, I didn't really need fancy, or I would have looked at VC or Jotul. Actually, I really like the looks of the Dutchwest cat stove. I went with Lopi more for the dealer though, since we were happy with them (and the stoves to be honest) with the two we have in the old house-both of which they installed. Then there were the clearances, I don't think there are many that can beat the 4.25" rear clearance of the Republic/Endeavor. We had the stove on order before we even closed on the Cottage, and at the time, we didn't know we would be ripping out the entire living room floor and thus removing two closets that took space in the living room. We needed every inch we could get since it was only going to be about 10-11' deep (it's now 14' with the closets not being replaced).

I don't want to sound like a stove snob, lol, but I just don't like the BK's looks-even if my stove is a plain jane. Just a matter of personal taste-but since it's my house, it's my taste that matters :p

You're correct your taste is all that matters, I was just curious as to why you felt that way. To me most steel stoves have a similar flavor.

The BK face does tilt back slightly, I agree with you on the pedestal, I think stoves should be on legs but it is what is it. I loved my Endeavor but when I got serious about heating it wasn't working out great trying to burn 24/7 while being away from the house 12 hours plus a day. When I was thinking of switching to the BK I told my wife "It's not the best looking stove(I bought site unseen I was going by what I read here) but it will allow us to come home to a warm house after working or being gone all day" when the stove came in she looked at the stove and said "It's a big steel stove just like the Endeavor, if it'll heat better it's welcome in my house." Works for me.........

NATE379 said:

I guess it could be possible, but that Chinook must be smoldering the fire really hard.
That's interesting.

60 lbs of wood at 7000 btu/pound=420,000 btu ..burns for 20 hours=21,000 btu/hour x.83=17,430 btu/hour.

40 lbs of wood at 7000 btu/pound=280,000 btu..burns for 30 hours =9,333 btu/hour x.76=7,093 btu/hour.

I'm not great at math but my calculator is..but I might have pushed a wrong button or three..lol.

Talk about marketing!

A few candles might put out 7,093 btu/hour..lol.

NATE379 said:

I remember reading somewhere the low btu output of the Chinook is around that of a 1500w space heater, What is that around 5000 btu's? The Princess has a published low end of 6400 btu's, the King is 8750.

I remember Hass saying on low burn he has a stove top temp in the 200's? I'm not 100% but that's unlikely to do much for my space that I'm heating. I think Hass is heating less than 1K that's well insulated so that probably why it works.

rdust said:
eclecticcottage said:

You're correct your taste is all that matters, I was just curious as to why you felt that way. To me most steel stoves have a similar flavor.

The BK face does tilt back slightly, I agree with you on the pedestal, I think stoves should be on legs but it is what is it. I loved my Endeavor but when I got serious about heating it wasn't working out great trying to burn 24/7 while being away from the house 12 hours plus a day. When I was thinking of switching to the BK I told my wife "It's not the best looking stove(I bought site unseen I was going by what I read here) but it will allow us to come home to a warm house after working or being gone all day" when the stove came in she looked at the stove and said "It's a big steel stove just like the Endeavor, if it'll heat better it's welcome in my house." Works for me.........

I thought it looked like it did. We maxed out at 12 hours on the Republic, I hear ya on heating with it. But the stove is basically the centerpiece in our livingroom so...I need it to look good too.

For some reason the only thing that bugs me is the squiggly trim piece on the parlor model.

Screen%2520Shot%25202012-01-16%2520at%25205.04.06%2520PM.jpgg]

I have the parlor model and that squiggly trim piece is not there. I assume it is probably the handle on the ash drawer...which I do not have.

eclecticcottage said:
I thought it looked like it did. We maxed out at 12 hours on the Republic, I hear ya on heating with it. But the stove is basically the centerpiece in our livingroom so...I need it to look good too.

My Endeavor had the same firebox as the 1750 it would have coals after 12 hours but zero heat output. The Endeavor and Princess aren't even in the same class when it comes to meaningful heat output and burn times.(the Princess is easily double in meaningful heat in the cold) I could go on and on how much better the Princess heats but it really gets to the point of bragging and no one wants to keep hearing it from us BK guys. Sure the stove is not without it's flaws but it's a down and dirty heater plain and simple.

fdegree said:
I have the parlor model and that squiggly trim piece is not there. I assume it is probably the handle on the ash drawer...which I do not have.

Interesting.. I wasn't sure. My personal tastes would probably lead me to the satin door. I have the pewter door on my Lopi

rdust said:
eclecticcottage said:

My Endeavor had the same firebox as the 1750 it would have coals after 12 hours but zero heat output. The Endeavor and Princess aren't even in the same class when it comes to meaningful heat output and burn times.(the Princess is easily double in meaningful heat in the cold) I could go on and on how much better the Princess heats but it really gets to the point of bragging and no one wants to keep hearing it from us BK guys. Sure the stove is not without it's flaws but it's a down and dirty heater plain and simple.

Since you have had an Endeavor I'd like to ask this.

Do you think on max heating the Endeavor is equal the princess? The heating at my cabin is usually from a really cold state so curious whether there would be an advantage from that standpoint.

Starting at 35 degrees will each stove reach 75 degrees at the same time?

rdust said:
eclecticcottage said:

Lol, I am interested although after just buying the republic I doubt I'll be replacing it too soon. Good to know about possible replacements if it were to come up though. I like to learn about stuff anyway, at least stuff I find interesting.

Does it burn (visually) as nice as the Endeavor? I keep hearing about dirty glass and how cat stoves just smolder instead of burning.

Treacherous said:

Do you think on max heating the Endeavor is equal the princess? The heating at my cabin is usually from a really cold state so curious whether there would be an advantage from that standpoint.

I'd say they're pretty much a wash, if you want to push the Princess she will throw some heat. It will also chew up wood like the Endeavor. The magic in these stoves comes from not needing to run it hard to keep the room temps stable.

rdust said:
Treacherous said:

I'd say they're pretty much a wash, if you want to push the Princess she will throw some heat. It will also chew up wood like the Endeavor. The magic in these stoves comes from not needing to run it hard to keep the room temps stable.

How about the visuals of the burn?

Treacherous said:
How about the visuals of the burn?

On mine if I burn higher than "2" I have flames, below that it's lights out unless I'm on the edge of the t-stat opening then I'll get some small flames. There are some times when I miss the dynamic fire but in reality my Endeavor would only get a couple/few hours of secondary flames and then a stove full of hot stuff with small flames. I knew going in I wasn't going to get a great flame show and that's ok, I just want it to heat my house. I'm considering putting an insert in my living room if I can find a good deal on a small one, that would be a non cat so I could enjoy the show again. :lol:

eclecticcottage said:
Does it burn (visually) as nice as the Endeavor? I keep hearing about dirty glass and how cat stoves just smolder instead of burning.

Simple answer is no. :lol:

The one way I could see this stove getting bumped off my hearth is if Woodstock releases the Progress in a version without the soapstone,(was mentioned a while back by a Woodstock rep on here) if that was to happen I'd have to take a peek. :lol: I don't heat with wood because I have to financially I do it because I enjoy it and wood feels better, the savings is great but with the amount of propain I save I could replace the stove every couple years and still be ahead. I guess I just want to be like Todd! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.