Blaze King Burn time ?'s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Extremebison

Dec 27, 2010
Yukon Canada
I got the full size Blaze King. No converter. The unit is 6 years old. It heats my 800sqft cabin all winter 24/7. My Blaze King is on all winter for 5 months, being our main source of heat. This winter's burn time seem to be shorter. I used to be able to load the unit up and at least be able to hold all night and on the coldest night. Without having to stock it. I live in the Yukon and what I mean by cold is -40F at night at times. This winter it has been between -4F to -22F, a nice winter for us. I got seasoned beetle killed wood split and dryed in the covered wood shed. This year is the first year for the wood to be covered, so in theory the wood would probally be at it's driest. The wood has also been drying all summer in the wood shed.

My ? is could the Blaze Kings air flew somehow not be sealing letting a trickle of air in burning the wood faster, does this flap wear out? Also If I add a converter to the unit will this increase my burn times? I do realize that there or lots of variables, but if it was the stove decreasing the burn time what could it be. I also changed the door gasket and tightened the door last winter. The stove just seems not to throttle down when turned down, it goes hard and hot. Thats why I'm steering towards the flapper. Possibly the wood is to dry:)

Does your unit have the ash pan? If so check the ash plug. Also if you switched from Pine to the Spruce. There is quite a difference in burn times. Sounds like you checked all your gaskets. Yes the Cat version will burn more efficient. Any smoke up the stack is lost fuel. Have you pulled the cover on the flapper to confirm its closing. Make sure when you replace the cover that it is in the closed position. Give me a PM. Meet Ya at Timmys for a coffee or something. The only Byron I know is an Electrician. Am I close?
Cheers.

Your wood could be drier than last year & now you may need
to burn larger splits to get an all night burn. It sounds like it could be air getting in from somewhere though.
The only thing that should quicken the burn times is more "inlet" air or a less quality wood.
A bad flapper may be leaking some air by, but thats rare (but possible)

You said you have a good seal on the door, unless there is a hole somewhere in the fire box, the only thing left is the T-stat flapper.
I've seen an old BK with the internal blower chambers burn thru in the corner of the blower channel iron (right where it was bent)

Can you take the flapper cover off & look at it? Maybe manually seal it with something & watch to see if it effects the burn rate.
In the close position, not much air can get by it unless it got bent.

Maybe try some bigger size splits or whole rounds for overnight, I know they burn longer in my BK.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

Stay warm over there :)

north of 60 said:
Does your unit have the ash pan? If so check the ash plug. Also if you switched from Pine to the Spruce. There is quite a difference in burn times. Sounds like you checked all your gaskets. Yes the Cat version will burn more efficient. Any smoke up the stack is lost fuel. Have you pulled the cover on the flapper to confirm its closing. Make sure when you replace the cover that it is in the closed position. Give me a PM. Meet Ya at Timmys for a coffee or something. The only Byron I know is an Electrician. Am I close?
Cheers.

Nope Sorry no ash pan. I checked the flapper and it is closing properly. I think this year I'm burning alot smaller diameter wood. Not near as many rounds as I used to. So says my wife, and she's the boss. I think she may be right. I used burn alot of rounds between 6 to 8". Thanks for your guys help it's always the obvious. I'll prove this theory when we get into another cold snap, I'll try same good size rounds and I'm sure we'll have burn that holds a long time. I'm not a electrician but a Appliance Repairman, by trade.

Even in the middle of Winter my burn time will vary depending on the outside temp (draft is stronger).

btuser said:
Even in the middle of Winter my burn time will vary depending on the outside temp (draft is stronger).

Hey, a form of thermostat! :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.