Blaze King Burns Loooong Time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TX-L

Burning Hunk
Sep 1, 2010
Tug Hill State Forest, NY
Thought some of you might like to read about this recent experience.

I went to Montreal last week, loaded the King absolutely as full as I could get it with oak and beech before leaving. Burnt it on high for about 30 minutes, shut it down to just inside the "normal" zone; about 1 3/4 on the dial. Turned off the fans. This was at 10:00 am on Wednesday.

Arrived home on Friday at 4:00 pm. The stove was cool to the touch, the house temp was 53 °F. I opened the door of the stove, and there was a little heat inside. I opened up the air setting to full open, opened the bypass, and stirred around the ashes, and there were some small red embers left in the bottom.

I split up some real small kindling wood and placed in the stove. I was able to reestablish flame without the use of a firestarter, newspaper, or match within about 20 minutes. This after 54 hours!!! This time period saw outdoor temps in the 40s during the day, below freezing each night. It certainly wasn't heating the house the whole time, but it held some coals for a long, long time. Obviously not an effective burn time over this entire period, but still impressive. I am doing around 30 hour cycles between reloads right now.

Oh, and still no fuel oil usage this season! :coolsmile:

I've had my King Ultra less than a month and almost,I said almost wish winter was here again to test the boy out. Last night I put 3 (three) oak splits in it none more than 4 inches in diameter. Threw a super cedar under them and in about 30 minutes my stovetop mometer was reading 600 my cat probe was about 1300 and the cat was cherry red. Is this good? Turned it down at about 9pm to 1.5 and still had coals this am about 6.

I'm just waiting for you guys with Blaze Kings to start complaining about how hot your house is this summer when you can't get the stove to burn out in July from wood you loaded in April.......LOL ;-P

Alright listen guys, I have an ash can with a lid that fits fairly snug. If I load it full of coals and put on the lid I will get the same results. Heck I've seen hot coals under ash in a burn pile a week after I burned.

And your point? :lol:
I should add- while they're similar in appearance, a bucket doesn't have the cool levers and knobs, so your arguement is invalid.

If the core goes into meltdown, it might take months to cool off.

Beetle-Kill said:
so your arguement is invalid.

+1. While the ash can, burn barrel and burn pile all have their place, it isn't in the living room.

Is it true that nuclear plant in Japan has a BK in its core?

Nope. It's actually an Englander... :)

That was an awesome certified (106) remark. So do we conclude that the BK and the ash can are similar in many ways? Or are we just a tad jealous.

Status
Not open for further replies.