Blaze King catalytic combuster ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arctickat

Oct 6, 2008
Fairbanks, ak
I have been using my new stove for about 2 weeks now but have yet to the the combuster glow. The temperature gauge stays in the active zone but the combuster does not seem to be working. I am burning dried spruce and birch(about 20 pct moisture meter readings.) Does the combuster still work even if it does not glow? I do get good overnight burn times at 1.75 (10 plus hours). Appreciate any thoughts..

It doesn't have to glow to be working. The only reason a combustor glows is because the ceramic substrate that the catalyst elements are bonded to has reached a temperature at which it glows. The real acid test here is not burn time but smoke output from the chimney. When you're satisfied that you've got a "good" burn going, walk outside and check the stack. No smoke means that combustor is working without glowing. Smoke indicates something isn't right. Either the cat is too old and has lost the ability to fire or there is something wrong with your firing methods.

I've had my cat glow a couple time with my new stove, as Corie stated above... its working well when the stove isn't producing very little to no smoke... I love my Blaze King thus far. I'm looking forward to my next power bill... when I used to dread its coming.

Run your stove up and char the wood. Shut her down gradual to #1 setting. @ 1.75 your almost @ a 50% burn rate. There is alot more air travelling through the cat and taking the glow out of it. When you turn it down alot more smoke is created and less air passing.
@ 1st your stove temp will go up for the 1st 2hrs then settle down for the remainder. Give it a try. Heres a few pics.
Hope this helps. N of 60

Attachments

• #1 setting.jpg
    #1 setting.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 394
  • High burn before shut down.jpg
    High burn before shut down.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 387
  • low burn cat not glowing.jpg
    low burn cat not glowing.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 389
Status