Blaze King cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webby3650

Master of Fire
Sep 2, 2008
Indiana
The issue was discussed a while back of wether it was necessary to pull the pipe up and clean behind the cat. I always do and this is the reason why. I swept the flue with the bypass open, the pic shows all the crap that landed on the bypass and fell in behind the cat. Just pull your pipes up and give it a quick sweep with a vac, it should be easy to do and if its not, it might time to rethink your connector pipe setup.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 442
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 399
Reactions: jeff_t
My princess insert would get like that but being an insert I would contort my arm and clean it by hand.

My princess insert would get like that but being an insert I would contort my arm and clean it by hand.
The insert will get a little build up in the flue collar, but it can't fall in behind the bypass. The PI flue collar comes off of the stove at 30 degrees and the bypass opens toward the cat. So the junk just sits at the bottom of the 30 degree flue collar and can be easily swept out.

Doesnt seem like that much work for a COMPLETE job..............

Reactions: webby3650
Why not just suck it out from the firebox with a vacuum? Have you ever tried that? The good thing about removing the flue is that you can adjust that bypass tension bolt.

Yeah, I know you're baiting me here. I absolutely agree that the best cleaning will occur if you remove the flue. Surely you can agree that most people don't do that and no damage results from the remaining crumbs.

It's like cleaning a septic tank or the actual firebox. The last bit of junk you clean with great effort is not worth cleaning.

Last edited:
The issue was discussed a while back of wether it was necessary to pull the pipe up and clean behind the cat. I always do and this is the reason why. I swept the flue with the bypass open, the pic shows all the crap that landed on the bypass and fell in behind the cat. Just pull your pipes up and give it a quick sweep with a vac, it should be easy to do and if its not, it might time to rethink your connector pipe setup.

I concur 100% on that.

I didn't do it this last time and I could feel the by-pass closing on the crud!
So I will pull it soon!

Why not just suck it out from the firebox with a vacuum? Have you ever tried that? The good thing about removing the flue is that you can adjust that bypass tension bolt.

Yeah, I know you're baiting me here. I absolutely agree that the best cleaning will occur if you remove the flue. Surely you can agree that most people don't do that and no damage results from the remaining crumbs.
Because you can't sweep it out. The bypass opens toward the cat, to protect it.Therefore it can't be accessed from below.

It's like cleaning a septic tank or the actual firebox. The last bit of junk you clean with great effort is not worth cleaning.
No baiting intended at all. I just want people to see what's going on under that pipe.

Because you can't sweep it out. The bypass opens toward the cat, to protect it.Therefore it can't be accessed from below.

When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

I've done it both ways and removing the flue is a lot more work for what looks to be harmless crumbs. What damage do you think can happen from leaving those crumbs webby?

I've cleaned several that have gone a few years without being cleaned properly. I find a nice big pile of ash and creosote laying behind the cat, clogging the bottom inch of it. A good portion of it lands back there when the flue is swept, the rest falls throught the seasons and lands on the bypass. When the bypass is opened, it's flipped back toward the cat.

And as I have seemed to have found out it can make it so the by-pass does not seal correctly.

Reactions: bobdog2o02
And as I have seemed to have found out it can make it so the by-pass does not seal correctly.

Yes, one of my reload rituals is to reach in and brush that gasket clean with my fingers. That gasket is in a spot to catch junk every single time the bypass is opened. Regardless of how well you clean sweepings. Not sure how much junk it would take to cause a problem but an easy wipeout keeps it clean.

I've cleaned several that have gone a few years without being cleaned properly. I find a nice big pile of ash and creosote laying behind the cat, clogging the bottom inch of it. A good portion of it lands back there when the flue is swept, the rest falls throught the seasons and lands on the bypass. When the bypass is opened, it's flipped back toward the cat.

One thing is for sure... you can clean it spicnspan by removing the flue. I would hate to lose an inch, a good 25%, of cat function.

Well crap. I brushed mine with the lever on bypass just before heating season got serious.

FWIW I brush mine out a couple times every winter from indoors so I don't have to go up on the roof at 40 below.

Given our burn times how long do I have to let the stove cool before I can vaccuum behind the cat?

Well crap. I brushed mine with the lever on bypass just before heating season got serious.

FWIW I brush mine out a couple times every winter from indoors so I don't have to go up on the roof at 40 below.

Given our burn times how long do I have to let the stove cool before I can vaccuum behind the cat?
It'll have to be pretty much out. Because you will need to pull the pipe. How long has it been since it's been cleaned out behind the cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.