Blaze King Efficiency Claims

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jophysx

Burning Hunk
Apr 12, 2011
SW Michigan
I know Blaze King makes a great product. I hope to upgrade to a Blaze King someday. But what on earth are they talking about in this promotional video taken straight from the Blaze King web site?

()

At the 1 minute mark the following claim is made " . . . [Blaze King Stoves] are four times more fuel-efficient than ANY non-catalytic wood stove."

WHAT? Does anybody have a clue how such a claim can be made? It's patently false.

Again, I have nothing against Blaze King. I know their stoves are very efficient - probably the best in the industry. But 4x higher efficiency is an absurd claim. What I don't like is twisting the language and the science in the service of marketing. I'll bet there is a long string of qualifiers and subtle definitions and word choices that leads to a very misleading claim like that.

Come on, Blaze King! As far as I can tell you guys represent the gold standard in the industry in terms of product design, engineering, and support. For all practical purposes this is fraudulent marketing. You can do better.

-Jim

I know Blaze King makes a great product. I hope to upgrade to a Blaze King someday. But what on earth are they talking about in this promotional video taken straight from the Blaze King web site?

()

At the 1 minute mark the following claim is made " . . . [Blaze King Stoves] are four times more fuel-efficient than ANY non-catalytic wood stove."

WHAT? Does anybody have a clue how such a claim can be made? It's patently false.

Again, I have nothing against Blaze King. I know their stoves are very efficient - probably the best in the industry. But 4x higher efficiency is an absurd claim. What I don't like is twisting the language and the science in the service of marketing. I'll bet there is a long string of qualifiers and subtle definitions and word choices that leads to a very misleading claim like that.

Come on, Blaze King! As far as I can tell you guys represent the gold standard in the industry in terms of product design, engineering, and support. For all practical purposes this is fraudulent marketing. You can do better.

-Jim

No it's not,when you've burned one for five years you'll see,made a believer of me. Can't wait to fire up the new parlor.

Yes it is. Let's give blaze king the benefit of the doubt and say their stoves are 100% efficient. Then all other non cats are 25% efficient or less? I don't think so.

I agree they are without a doubt fantastic stoves but not 4x more efficient than any non catalytic stove. the old franklin stove in the video yes I dont doubt they are more than 4x more efficient than that but I hear lots of claim about them that simply cant be true.

Well, then the Kuma Sequoia is 5 times more efficient! ;)
upload_2016-10-22_11-28-0.png

Well I use to load my old US 2500 epa stove 4-5 times a day, with my princess I'm doing either 1 load a day or 2 loads when its really cold out.

Reactions: gregbesia
Ill have to watch the actual video and make a more informed comment later...

Off the cuff i am perfectly willing to believe at say 20-30minutes after the match is applied to a cold stove a bk is 4x efficient at converting garms of fuel burned into measurable btus in the room.

Otoh if we arbitrarily assign 30% total eff to a vintage franklin stove for the total burn, no stove can achieve 120% efficiency.

Gotta go, brunch date with my wife.

Reactions: Ashful
Not even close.
no but the numbers do show it is more efficient than bk's. And again none of us are saying bk's are not great and efficient stoves. But there is no way they are 4x more efficient than any non cat out there. It simply is not possible.

Maybe they mean 4 times as fuel efficient. Do to the ability to run low. Meaning you will go through 4 times less fuel then a non cat. I know I go through 1/4 of the wood then the old stove my dad used.

Similar to how car efficiency is done a small car is 3 times as efficient as a 1 ton truck in miles per gallon.

Maybe they mean 4 times as fuel efficient. Do to the ability to run low. Meaning you will go through 4 times less fuel then a non cat. I know I go through 1/4 of the wood then the old stove my dad used.

Similar to how car efficiency is done a small car is 3 times as efficient as a 1 ton truck in miles per gallon.
Yes but that needs to be compared at equivalent average BTU output. And that is not true when you compare it to many modern noncats. I doubt it is even 4x for many old pre epa stoves

Good point Bholler, but we have a saying that goes with that, its called chasing the heat wave, where as the BK offers a low flat line (which equates to low long burns) so once you get to your desired temp inside its easier to maintain, hence not chasing the heat wave or rise and fall of an epa stove.

Good point Bholler, but we have a saying that goes with that, its called chasing the heat wave, where as the BK offers a low flat line (which equates to low long burns) so once you get to your desired temp inside its easier to maintain, hence not chasing the heat wave or rise and fall of an epa stove.
Yes there are obvious benefits to cat stoves with bk being one of the best if not the best cat stove. The even consistent heat being one of the biggest. And the efficiency is obviously another. I just think the efficiency gains are exaggerated by some

I'm not sure this was deliberate but I wouldn't let it worry me. Exaggerated claims are nothing new to the wood stove industry.

Actual user feedback from this site can be as or more valuable than the numbers in the glossy brochures/infomercials.

Reactions: gregbesia
Yes there are obvious benefits to cat stoves with bk being one of the best if not the best cat stove. The even consistent heat being one of the biggest. And the efficiency is obviously another. I just think the efficiency gains are exaggerated by some
Bk's are undoubtedly the best cat stoves made currently,many imitators but so far no duplicators.I cut my wood consumption with my first one by at least 60% maybe more,the new one has yet to be fired.There's nothing at all to be gained by exaggerated claims,I don't work for BK,don't get paid to sing accolades about them.I only deal in facts,if a better stove emerges from another manufacturer ,I'd probably buy it.Don't feel that will happen soon,plus they're built like a tank,but are not.It's an honest stove that when it's 10' outside 12 hour reloads are the norm not the exception,very ,very few stoves can duplicate that and keep a dwelling comfortable.Sometimes you gotta call a spade a spade even if it hurts. Can argue till eternity on these type of issues,like arguing with gun owners who say Glocks are junk,when in fact they're the best handgun in the world,many imitators so far no duplicators ,not even close ,that;s my analogy for those who have a hard time understanding facts.

Bk's are undoubtedly the best cat stoves made currently,many imitators but so far no duplicators.I cut my wood consumption with my first one by at least 60% maybe more,the new one has yet to be fired.There's nothing at all to be gained by exaggerated claims,I don't work for BK,don't get paid to sing accolades about them.I only deal in facts,if a better stove emerges from another manufacturer ,I'd probably buy it.Don't feel that will happen soon,plus they're built like a tank,but are not.It's an honest stove that when it's 10' outside 12 hour reloads are the norm not the exception,very ,very few stoves can duplicate that and keep a dwelling comfortable.Sometimes you gotta call a spade a spade even if it hurts. Can argue till eternity on these type of issues,like arguing with gun owners who say Glocks are junk,when in fact they're the best handgun in the world,many imitators so far no duplicators ,not even close ,that;s my analogy for those who have a hard time understanding facts.
Ok what did you replace with that first bk? And if you cut your wood consumption by 60% that is still not 4x as efficient. And I am sure you did not replace a top of the line non cat with that bk either. Again I am not putting down bk at all. And it may very well be the best cat stove available I have not used them all so I cant say for sure but it is defiantly right up there regardless. But there is no way it is 4x as efficient as any non cat. That is why I said claims are exaggerated. And if it keeps your hose comfortable at 10 degrees outside and a 12 hr burn why are you adding another one?

Ok what did you replace with that first bk? And if you cut your wood consumption by 60% that is still not 4x as efficient. And I am sure you did not replace a top of the line non cat with that bk either. Again I am not putting down bk at all. And it may very well be the best cat stove available I have not used them all so I cant say for sure but it is defiantly right up there regardless. But there is no way it is 4x as efficient as any non cat. That is why I said claims are exaggerated. And if it keeps your hose comfortable at 10 degrees outside and a 12 hr burn why are you adding another one?
Bholler sir U r confused,I had BK,King Ultra,for 5 years. I just replaced it with,a BK King Parlor,same stove different style. And I'm adding another stove because I can,there is no non cat stove that can even knock on the door of a BK king,it's about physics for one. Burn what you want ,I want to burn BK becuz they're simple and i'm not a woodstove baby sitter,which is what you do with most.I've had 10 woodstoves give or take ,so I know a little about what's out there.

Bholler sir U r confused,I had BK,King Ultra,for 5 years. I just replaced it with,a BK King Parlor,same stove different style. And I'm adding another stove because I can,there is no non cat stove that can even knock on the door of a BK king,it's about physics for one. Burn what you want ,I want to burn BK becuz they're simple and i'm not a woodstove baby sitter,which is what you do with most.I've had 10 woodstoves give or take ,so I know a little about what's out there.
bk1.jpeg bk2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
.I've had 10 woodstoves give or take ,so I know a little about what's out there.
And I work on hundreds a year so I know what it out there as well. You can say what ever you want and yes they are more efficient but not 4x. It simply is not possible. And no I don't babysit my stove I load it before I go to work when I get home and when I go to bed. And loading getting up to temp and shutting down takes a total of 15 to 20 mins.

Yeah I get it they are great stoves but they are not pretty lol. For me it would not matter it sits in the basement so I could not care less what it looks like but if it was in my living room I would not go for the looks of them. I assumed you were adding another because it is rather odd to replace a 5 year old stove that you love so much but I get it.

What's up with those legs? They look like they have wattles.
I think that is an optical illusion from the shadows. But yes it does look like it

I have to agree, most bk's just aren't very pretty. I get that it's weird alien technology that I'll likely never see since I live in the southeast, but it's still ugly to my untrained eye. I'd still love to have one though if my clearances would tolerate it. Maybe a sirocco 25 insert. Now that's pretty. ;)

Of course 48 hour burn times are pretty. The box, not so much. The burn though, it's all about the burn. If only.......

The reason BS marketing works is because it depends on innumeracy of the audience (http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Innumeracy). Many people can simply not understand that it is impossible to improve a process at 70-80% efficiency by a factor of 4. People respond to emotional triggers ( "BK stoves are great!", which I'm sure they are)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jatoxico
Status
Not open for further replies.