Blaze King-Installed and online!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiram Maxim

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2007
SE Michigan
Well I just finished the install!

All parts are Metalbest with 5' of double wall to ceiling support and then 10'feet of stainless Class A chimney.

In the Picture she is burning her first load (half load) and is humming along at 500 °F , CAT at 3/4 active, and the dial at 1 1/2.

74 °F inside, 39.6 °F outside, and slight smell off paint of the double wall.

So damn strange not seeing a flame :cheese:

The heat is very different from the Englander!

Thanks for everyone's input.

Cheers,Hiram

w82gc7.jpg

Hiram Maxim said:

All parts are Metalbest with 5' of double wall to ceiling support and then 10'feet of stainless Class A chimney.

In the Picture she is burning her first load (half load) and is humming along at 500 °F , CAT at 3/4 active, and the dial at 1 1/2.

Cheers,Hiram

w82gc7.jpg

Odd. It doesn't even look in use.

Hiram Maxim said:

Cheers,Hiram

Blaze King-King Ultra w/ Blowers currently being installed

Yay and congrats! Sweet looking install.

Oh--time to change your sig. :cheese:

Nice install!

But remember, flames are OK too ;)

Bill

BrowningBAR said:
Hiram Maxim said:

Cheers,Hiram

Odd. It doesn't even look in use.

Oh its in use! ;-)

I just turned it down to 1, it was getting to warm in here.

Here is a close up for you....

257d155.jpg

RenovationGeorge said:
Hiram Maxim said:

Cheers,Hiram

Blaze King-King Ultra w/ Blowers currently being installed

Yay and congrats! Sweet looking install.

Oh--time to change your sig. :cheese:

Thanks George! Will do.....

Right now for the last 3 hours I have been burning just coals..425 deck temp.
I do it with the air all the way open with the cat active of course.
Bring the bigger coals and smaller pieces forward.
The cat is up around 3/4 but no glow doing this.
I figure the coals must not have any particulates to feed that cat.
Try it sometime.
Probably around 10 tonight I'll load it up for a 24 hour burn.
But like you say turned down low ..which mine will be after I fill it then burn it high for awhile...it looks like its out..lol.
This stove will amaze you if it's your first cat..and the thermostat really makes sense.
Nice install!
Very contemporary looking.

HotCoals said:
Try it sometime.
But like you say turned down low ..which mine will be after I fill it then burn it high for awhile...it looks like its out..lol.
This stove will amaze you if it's your first cat..and the thermostat really makes sense.
Nice install!

Thanks for the advice and compliment.

I turned it below 1 as it is just getting tooooo warm in here.

The lower I turned it the higher the stove top temp gets and the CAT spikes higher.

Going to take some getting use to?
Its going to get below freezing tonight so it will be very interesting to see how it performs.

Its a good thing it has a thermostat because this is a whole lotta stove for 2120 sq ft. ;-P

Hiram Maxim said:
HotCoals said:
Try it sometime.
Nice install!

The lower I turned it the higher the stove top temp gets and the CAT spikes higher.

Its going to get below freezing tonight so it will be very interesting to see how it performs.

Its a good thing it has a thermostat because this is a whole lotta stove for 2120 sq ft. ;-P

Very nice stove!! I like the idea of a thermostat too.. Once you get used to the cat I think you'll like it..

Ray

That what freaked my wife out the first day she was home alone with the stove.
She turned it up to watch the fire..that went fine she said.
But when she turned it back to one she noticed the cat climbing higher and higher and called me.
Yep..normal..that cat likes smoke! lol.
But I did tell her if the cat was getting close to the top of the scale..just turn the blowers on high.
I experimented doing that and it does work.

What's weird for her it looks just like our old 24 year old BK..but it's a different animal for sure.

HotCoals said:
That what freaked my wife out the first day she was home alone with the stove.
She turned it up to watch the fire..that went fine she said.
But when she turned it back to one she noticed the cat climbing higher and higher and called me.
Yep..normal..that cat likes smoke! lol.
But I did tell her if the cat was getting close to the top of the scale..just turn the blowers on high.
I experimented doing that and it does work.

What's weird for her it looks just like our old 24 year old BK..but it's a different animal for sure.

Yeah, I read Your post the other day!
no doubt it's a different animal :snake:

That's a good looking install, sir. But man am I used to seeing teh flames! Go put your hand on the top plate to make sure it's "working". :p

Well Hiram..we are both newbies to this cat deal so we can learn from each other.
Not to mention the ones with a lot of experience can really be a big help!

One more thing I found.
I burned some wood with at least a 30% moisture content for a few days.
My glass really got black.
What worked for me is one of those cheap retractable razor blade scarpers.
I waited till the stove was somewhat cool and scraped of the gunk in like 2 mins..nice and clear after that.
I put my ash bucket under the door when doing it.
I hope it don't hurt the glass any.is my only thought...seems fine.

HotCoals said:
Well Hiram..we are both newbies to this cat deal so we can learn from each other.
Not to mention the ones with a lot of experience can really be a big help!

One more thing I found.
I burned some wood with at least a 30% moisture content for a few days.
My glass really got black.
What worked for me is one of those cheap retractable razor blade scarpers.
I waited till the stove was somewhat cool and scraped of the gunk in like 2 mins..nice and clear after that.
I put my ash bucket under the door when doing it.
I hope it don't hurt the glass any.is my only thought...seems fine.
Coals, I own a glass shop. When cleaning glass with a blade, spray first with glass cleaner (for lubrication) use only a new blade in one direction. Never scrape back and forth. You can't imagine how bad a dull blade will scratch glass. Ken

newtothis said:
Coals, I own a glass shop. When cleaning glass with a blade, spray first with glass cleaner (for lubrication) use only a new blade in one direction. Never scrape back and forth. You can't imagine how bad a dull blade will scratch glass. Ken

Thanks for the tip!

[quote author="Hiram Maxim" date="1290224632"]Well I just finished the install!

Nice looking install Hiram.

zap

Hiram Maxim said:

And there's two of them in that space!

Hiram Maxim said:

Cheers,Hiram
Nice install.

OH ya, turning it down , just intensifies the heat off the top for awhile but will settle down. When it gets cold out and you turn it up, you will get heat throwing off from the front and top. With the blower, you will not care how cold outside it gets.

Hiram Maxim said:

:)

I'm jealous--I won't have my stove until next year, but in a good way. (But yes, I do have wood set aside!)

From what I've read, that seems a neat aspect of secondary burns--cat or thermal--shutting down primary air makes smoke, feeds the secondaries, and temps spike. Very cool. So I guess, like a pilot, you have to learn to "fly ahead of the plane/stove".

A whole lotta stove is a good thing, when you can dial it back. I could run a Princess with my present chimney, and it would probably be fine, but I'm Jonesing for that big firebox that will eat big logs and burn long. Have fun!

That's a great looking install Hiram. Between the King and your remodel, you are going to have one warm house this winter.

your gonna love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.