Blaze King King Hot Reload

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renovation

Oct 26, 2010
SW MI near Saugatuck
Hey,

I'm curious how a BKK behaves if filled up when hot. Would that be an abusive thing to do? Dangerous? I'm wondering if it could just be dialed down, or might the cat go nuclear from all the outgassing, etc?

I'm trying to learn dos and don'ts, etc. I'm thinking that this a way that the King's big firebox might make it respond differently than the Princess, because it an take such a large load of wood. Thanks for any insights, and have a great one.

ecocavalier02 said:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/63208/

this is what happened to me. funny you posted that. becareful

Wow, thanks EC! I must have seen that, and had it in the back of my mind when I asked. I'm glad no harm was done.

And that was with a Princess. I guess a person could really get in trouble with a King, if they were foolish? I wonder if that is a danger with cat stoves in particular, or a bad idea with any stove? Thanks, and good luck on that learning curve!

I guess ur best bet if ur reloading hot and need to reload is to reload and close the damper.

If you throw a full load of dry wood in any hot stove and leave the door open, it is going to take off. I don't reload until the burn cycle gets at least to the point in the pic below. This time of year, if I rake all of that fuel front center before I go to work and turn the tstat down, I can easily reload on top of it when I get home.

Attachments

• reload time.jpg
    reload time.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 387
SolarAndWood said:
If you throw a full load of dry wood in any hot stove and leave the door open, it is going to take off. I don't reload until the burn cycle gets at least to the point in the pic below. This time of year, if I rake all of that fuel front center before I go to work and turn the tstat down, I can easily reload on top of it when I get home.

Gotcha.

If you put a full load in hot quick, and closed the door, would it still be fine, or would there be problems? I'm curious, and trying to figure out the no-nos. I know that full cycles between reloads is best, but I'm wondering if full reloads when hot are dangerous?

Thanks for the info, and the sweet photo. Looks like you're staying warm!

like solar said any load in any stove if its very hot has potential to do something crazy.

hey solar when your doing your burn off on the uglies and not so good wood how long you leave the bypass open? just curious. ive been goin bout 10 min. or so then cook on 3 for 15 or 20 depending how hot the stove is then crank her down to 2.5 for anther 10 or 15 then half hour on 2 then 1.5 for rest of the cycle

RenovationGeorge said:
If you put a full load in hot quick, and closed the door, would it still be fine, or would there be problems? I'm curious, and trying to figure out the no-nos. I know that full cycles between reloads is best, but I'm wondering if full reloads when hot are dangerous?

If you have a full load next to the stove that you throw in quickly, I doubt you would have an issue. However, if you don't let your burn cycles finish you are going to have a big pile of coals that eventually have to be dealt with. If I need more heat and the burn cycle isn't over, I rake everything front center and throw a few splits of pine on it.

ecocavalier02 said:
hey solar when your doing your burn off on the uglies and not so good wood how long you leave the bypass open? just curious. ive been goin bout 10 min. or so then cook on 3 for 15 or 20 depending how hot the stove is then crank her down to 2.5 for anther 10 or 15 then half hour on 2 then 1.5 for rest of the cycle

I let it go upwards of half an hour. But, I am burning chunks from spring processing and they really aren't as dry as they should be.

SolarAndWood said:
RenovationGeorge said:

If you have a full load next to the stove that you throw in quickly, I doubt you would have an issue. However, if you don't let your burn cycles finish you are going to have a big pile of coals that eventually have to be dealt with. If I need more heat and the burn cycle isn't over, I rake everything front center and throw a few splits of pine on it.

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.