Blaze king King issues need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazekingKING

Feb 5, 2016
Montana
I have a blaze king King which I got used it has only been used maybe 3years when I started using it we had problems with draft and it smoking up the whole house. We have added about 12ft of triple wall stove pipe to fix that issue, however if we fill our stove full and let it get good and hot them turn it down to a 1 or 1.5 the stove will sometimes smoke out the back and the stove pipe will smoke or it will just put the fire out all together, the people at the fireplace center told us we have to keep it burning hot, if I do that I have to get up one to two times in the night to put more wood in the fire. I know I live where it is cold but it isn't always that cold I believe this spice is capable of way more. We have cleaned the catalyst a couple times. Not sure what else to do or what could be causing this stove to not run as efficiently as it is supposed to. Please help I'm going crazy and ready to get rid of this and go back to an old one that I know how to run! Thanks

Well we need to know allot more about your setup. Size height and type of chimney. Layout and length of connector pipe. Moisture content of wood ect.

Well we need to know allot more about your setup. Size height and type of chimney. Layout and length of connector pipe. Moisture content of wood ect.

8in double wall 90degree out of the house 16ft tall. I have no idea the moisture of the wood nor do I no where to find a tool to do that?

1454702963774-604189836.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
8in double wall 90degree out of the house 16ft tall. I have no idea the moisture of the wood nor do I no where to find a tool to do that?
Well what species wood are you using and how long has it been split and stacked? Was it covered when stacked? And are you sure that is double wall connector pipe? It looks like single wall to me but i could be wrong

What are your cat emps at when you shut the bypass?

Well what species wood are you using and how long has it been split and stacked? Was it covered when stacked? And are you sure that is double wall connector pipe? It looks like single wall to me but i could be wrong
Yes it was stacked in a shed for a year and it is bull pine/yellow pine, the inside is single wall but the outside chimney is double wall.

I just put the thermostat on last night and haven't had a good fire since if that is what you are talking about? I'm sorry I do not know hardly anything about this stove stuff
The probe thermometer on top of the stove will tell you the cat temperatures. You don't shut the bypass until you are in the active range. Hopefully a moderator moves this to the hearth forum. There are allot of bk guys there that can be allot more specific about your stove. I have never burnt one of them so i only know the basic stuff that applies to all cat stoves.

The probe thermometer on top of the stove will tell you the cat temperatures. You don't shut the bypass until you are in the active range. Hopefully a moderator moves this to the hearth forum. There are allot of bk guys there that can be allot more specific about your stove. I have never burnt one of them so i only know the basic stuff that applies to all cat stoves.
Oh yes I never shut it in until it is in the active space!

Have you looked at the cat? is it clean what condition is it in?

In lieu of a moisture meter, can you take a closer up picture of the wood you are burning?

It sounds OK, pine dries quick. From a distance in post #4 above the wood looks like it is somewhere between pretty close and pretty good.

Might be a wet wood issue, not sure. One pic oblique 3/4 view and another pretty good picture of average end grain ought to be plenty to estimate from.

First thing to check is wood moisture content. You can get a cheap moisture meter at Harbor Fright, about $15. Find several big splits, re-split and test in the center of the freshly-exposed face. Sub-20% should burn pretty well. Next would be a draft issue; These stoves are a bit picky about draft. It could be that with the outside chimney, draft is marginal. You also have two 90* turns in the stack; That doesn't help. If the top of the stack is not above a nearby roof ridge, you could be getting some funky downdrafts when the wind blows.

I can see negative draft putting out the fire and driving smoke out of the pipes, but smoking out of the back of the stove? Don't know enough to say if that's normal under backdraft conditions but guessing that it's not.

Also, he's not just running a little hot to prevent backdrafts- if he's filling a 4.3 CF firebox 3x a night, that's a crazy amount of heat. If I burned my princess hot enough to consume 12 CF of wood per night, I'd have to sleep outside, with breaks to go inside and wet down the sofa every hour or so.

Last edited:
That more than likely is single wall...ask Webby.

Also, I see the cat in the picture. It's stainless, so is that the one regasketed and inserted in the stove?

Open the loading door, open the by pass and take a picture of the opening where the by pass plate closes against a gasket. In order to burn that much fuel, 3 times a night, you have an issue...maybe more than one.

Download a manual at www.blazeking.com. There are some basic maintenance items and after reading it you will be vastly more informed on the stove, how it works and maintenance issues.

Reactions: DUMF
Nice catch by BKVP- there appears to be a steelcat sitting on the floor outside of the stove, which appears to be burning? Do you have two combustors for the stove?

Manual is here.

warning.jpg

I'm honestly not sure what the consequences (other than poor performance) are, but the manual says not to do it. ;)

Isn't the back of that stove on a wood floor and the wall protection about a foot off the floor? Could be just the pic and my eyes.

I haven't read the whole thread, so forgive if this has been said, but going off your original post... you may not be able to turn this stove down to "1", with your setup. Try two things:

1. Turn knob to full open (should be pointed at 6 o'clock), then turn it down until you hear the internal damper click. Should be around 2 on the dial, or somewhere in the range marked "normal".
2. On your next load, get the wood going good, into active range on thermometer, close bypass, run on high an additional 15 minutes, then turn down just to the position where you heard the damper click closed (again, around 2 on the dial). This should give you a very long burn time, with the thermostat staying shut thru most of the burn, and then throttling open a bit at the very end of the load to keep heat up.

Reactions: BlazekingKING
Status
Not open for further replies.