Blaze King King questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mwhitnee

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2015
Central Mass, USA
I am having this stove installed in a week or two, replacing a Defiant 1A. It has the blower on it.

Few questions:

Can this stove run without electricity?

Didn't think I saw a break in procedure in the manual, is there one?

I am unfortunately in the position where I might not have properly seasoned wood (should be all set next year), what would be the result of burning semi-seasoned wood?

Thanks for your time.

Yes, no problem running without electricity.

It may not be required but I like to run a smaller first fire to dry out the firebrick. Then, follow the operational instructions for burning. Get the stove over 500F on the stove top to bake in the paint and open some windows while this is happening.

Wood moisture content should be <20% See if you can purchase some kiln dried wood to supplement your current stock or consider burning some compressed fuel like Northern Idaho Energy Logs,HomeFire Prest-Logs or BioBricks.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/okay-what-is-a-safe-m-c-of-wood-for-a-cat-stove.144653/

Yes, no problem running without electricity.

It may not be required but I like to run a smaller first fire to dry out the firebrick. Then, follow the operational instructions for burning. Get the stove over 500F on the stove top to bake in the paint and open some windows while this is happening.

Wood moisture content should be <20% See if you can purchase some kiln dried wood to supplement your current stock or consider burning some compressed fuel like Northern Idaho Energy Logs,HomeFire Prest-Logs or BioBricks.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/okay-what-is-a-safe-m-c-of-wood-for-a-cat-stove.144653/

Ok, let's say I bought a pallet of compressed fuel and planned on burning 4 cords of wood this year.

if I used a couple of these compressed logs in the beginning of the burn and fed it natural wood afterwards, would that be sufficient?

I don't think so, but that is a better question for BKVP. I don't have a BK stove, but it would seem to be a question of how much moisture is in the wood. Too much moisture and the stove can't perform as advertised, cat or non-cat.

Ok, let's say I bought a pallet of compressed fuel and planned on burning 4 cords of wood this year.

if I used a couple of these compressed logs in the beginning of the burn and fed it natural wood afterwards, would that be sufficient?

That's not how you burn a bk. Not a log or two at a time but big batches once or twice a day.

So what kind of wood will you have and how much time will it have been cut, split, and stacked? Supposedly, these cats are much more capable of burning less than perfect wood than we think. The real killer of cats is gasket leaks.

Supposedly, these cats are much more capable of burning less than perfect wood than we think. The real killer of cats is gasket leaks.
Webby says he has burned not-quite-seasoned wood in his BKA with no problem. Not sure how wet it was... I think chances are pretty good that you will fracture a ceramic cat if you burn wet wood, but the new BKs may come with steel cats??

I don't think 'not quite seasoned' wood will damage the cat. Might have to burn with the bypass open longer if there are some heavy sizzlers, but chances are that would have to be done to keep it burning, anyway.

yes I understand how to load the stove with wood, but I thought putting in compressed logs with the not so seasoned wood would be good to get it going. Right now I think I can get wood that's been cut for 8 months and split for 4.

What species wood?

I just got some good news that some of the trees I am having cut down are dying and losing moisture, most cherry. Hoping to burn that this year!

Last edited:
At this date it's debatable. Test on freshly split faces of the wood.

At this date it's debatable.
Cherry dries relatively quickly but not that quickly. Soft Maple is a bit quicker but there's not a lot of time, especially if it's been as wet as it has here...

I don't think so, but that is a better question for BKVP. I don't have a BK stove, but it would seem to be a question of how much moisture is in the wood. Too much moisture and the stove can't perform as advertised, cat or non-cat.
Correct Highbeam! I would suggest that if your fuel is 20-24%, you should load the stove with the manufactured fuel and the cord wood at the same time.

Well I guess I'll just have to wait and see after its cut down. I wouldn't think it's going to be that dry.

Wouldn't the stove perform better than the Defiant 1A regardless?

Status
Not open for further replies.