Blaze King - Not What I Expected

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
I visited a dealer that sold Blaze King woodstoves today and they had the Blaze King 1107 Parlor model on display.

I knew these stoves, from reading posts here, were super clean burning stoves with large capacity an a long clean burn time. I also read these stoves were UGLY!!!

But, the stove I thought was was very nice looking IMHO. Maybe the Ultra or Classic may not strike the eye so good, but the only one I saw was the Parlor model and again, I thought it was a nice looking stove - one I'd put in most any living room.

Other things that I liked were the huge firebox (4+ cu ft) coupled with a catalyst combuster. To me, that's a recipe for long clean burns. I liked the front door/glass arrangement. It kind of angled back a bit and I should think that makes it really easy to see onto the firebox when standing. I liked the door lip being so high above the stove floor - lots of ash containment there. I didn't look at the ash pan, I assume it has one. It would be nice to have a 6 vs 8 inch flue, don't know if anyone is using a 6 inch on a BK. Another thing I liked about the firebox was that it was more of a cube on shape vs being rectangular, short in height and deep. I also looked at a Buck Stove 91 and it's firebox is super deep, but not so tall. I like the BK's firebox better, though I have a very high regard for the 91.

Bottom line - I think this Blaze King Parlor stove is a great stove.

Bill

I too think the BK stoves were much better looking in person.
Not the most beautiful of stoves, but definitely not as bad as everyone here says they are.

leeave96 said:
I visited a dealer that sold Blaze King woodstoves today and they had the Blaze King 1107 Parlor model on display.

I knew these stoves, from reading posts here, were super clean burning stoves with large capacity an a long clean burn time. I also read these stoves were UGLY!!!

But, the stove I thought was was very nice looking IMHO. Maybe the Ultra or Classic may not strike the eye so good, but the only one I saw was the Parlor model and again, I thought it was a nice looking stove - one I'd put in most any living room.

Other things that I liked were the huge firebox (4+ cu ft) coupled with a catalyst combuster. To me, that's a recipe for long clean burns. I liked the front door/glass arrangement. It kind of angled back a bit and I should think that makes it really easy to see onto the firebox when standing. I liked the door lip being so high above the stove floor - lots of ash containment there. I didn't look at the ash pan, I assume it has one. It would be nice to have a 6 vs 8 inch flue, don't know if anyone is using a 6 inch on a BK. Another thing I liked about the firebox was that it was more of a cube on shape vs being rectangular, short in height and deep. I also looked at a Buck Stove 91 and it's firebox is super deep, but not so tall. I like the BK's firebox better, though I have a very high regard for the 91.

Bottom line - I think this Blaze King Parlor stove is a great stove.

Bill

Really? I'm surprised at this since we tend to like the same type of stoves. Might have to check out a Blaze King dealer to see for myself.

i love the way my stove looks.

Before I went and touched one I always thought they were ugly. In person they're not a bad looking stove, surely not the best looking but not too bad. Add the crazy long burn times and nicely sized/usable firebox dimensions and you have a winner imo.

Princess parlor is what I have. I paid extra for the nickel plated door. I think it's a nice stove. It's not "beautiful" like a soapstone stove, but I can deal with a more function over form look because it flat out kicks butt.
If I had to put wood in the stove every 4-5 hours I would not heat with wood plane and simple. I don't have the time to fart around with a stove everyday.
I put wood in it today around noon time and it will be fine until tomorrow afternoon. It's 25* outside and 75* in the house. When winter rolls in and it gets cold out I load it in the afternoon and again when I get home from work (around midnight)

The King would be nice but it would be too much stove for my house. Even with the princess I have to set the temp control no more than straight up and down or I'd have to strip down to my undies to deal with the heat

My wife says it ain't no Mona Lisa but I think the performance more than makes up for it. It did take a while to adjust to the aesthetics after having a beautiful cast iron stove sitting in that spot for 4 years.

SolarAndWood said:
My wife says it ain't no Mona Lisa but I think the performance more than makes up for it. It did take a while to adjust to the aesthetics after having a beautiful cast iron stove sitting in that spot for 4 years.
Thats the same problem I had, went from an Oslo to the King. We were tired of coming home to a cold house. I just turned up the stove, burning wood that I added yesterday at 8 a.m.. I'ts not very pretty, but it sure works!

Have a look at the new Blaze King "Chinook-CBT".

It has the same burn technology as the Princess and King, but certainly looks
a lot better!! It looks alot like the "modern" look that you see in many of the
stoves that come from Europe.

For a 6 inch pipe you may want the Princess rather than the King. I don't know if you can burn a King with a 6 inch pipe.

fredarm said:
For a 6 inch pipe you may want the Princess rather than the King. I don't know if you can burn a King with a 6 inch pipe.
you can but requires the right setup for it. With good draft.

I've seen some ugly stoves in my day, but the BK isn't the worst. I think a lot of what you read here is just people enjoying having a little attitude. I bought pretty--I admit, that was important to me, but I also bought soapstone because of the even heat. Granted, it's not like the BK folks: "Dang, it's February--gotta remember to reload!" but we all find the balance that works for us if we take the time to think it through and do our homework. I agree with Nate, though--if I had to reload every four hours, I couldn't do this. I don't know too many people who could, and fortunately, most of us do better than that.

You sound like the guy who just saw the girl he's going to marry walk into the room--smitten. It's only got to make you and yours happy--doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

That having been said, I don't care much for the cb-t, but thought the parlor stove could grow on me---and I really like the brass door trim. Tax credit is still good.

I just talked to someone a few days ago who has a 2500sf house and he owns two BK's.

I purchased the Blaze King King parlor model back in March of this year. Didn't get to Burn it but a few days due to a fairly early spring. The long burn time as advertised Is true, depending on how hot you burn it. East of Mississippi prices are pretty steep, over 3k. I do have mine hooked to a 6" thimble with 6" pipe. The dealer installed it for me and said it shouldn't be a problem. I don't think I'm getting the full potential from the King. I get a little smoke when reloading. Of course that only happens every couple of days. :) There's a reason the manufacturer put an 8" collar on this stove. It's a BIG fellow. I have a fireplace about 4' from the flue it is hooked to now. I'm getting ready to put an 8" thimble right above the fireplace and move the stove over. The flue liner for the fireplace is about 13" square. That's about 11 1/2" square inside dimension. Compared to the 8" flue liner which is about 6 1/2" square inside where it is hooked up now. Got a total of about 22' in height since it is located in my basement. Does anyone foresee a problem from the larger flue liners versus the 8" stovepipe I will eventually have?

I for-see lots of glazed creosote produced from running a cat stove into a 13"x13" flue. I should really be sized more appropriately. Cat stoves have lower exhaust temps and the longer the smoke spends in the flue the colder it gets. Have you thought about running an 8" liner?

Was afraid you were going to say that. Maybe I should stick to my current installation. I will post a photo and you can see more of what I'm talking about. On a cool morning with the thermostat on a lower setting and can see wisps of vapor coming from the chimney. I guess that's what would be called the 8 x 8 liner I'm currently using. Maybe I should just knock out the current 6" thimble and try to replace with an 8" thimble. Another thought was to replace the 6" stovepipe with 8" and put a 6" reducer at the thimble. What do you think. The 6" thimble would still choke it down for about a foot. At least I would be getting rid of about 4' of 6" stovepipe.

Attachments

• Blaze King King.jpg
    Blaze King King.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 499
Pdc999, you'll probably get some better answers for your question if you start a new thread. I would think using the 13x13 and putting an 8" liner down it will give you the best performance. I'm not sure how you would replace the 6" thimble with a 8" if the flue is 8x8, not working with any extra there. I don't think using 8" pipe with a reducer will help anything since you sill have the 6" thimble.

I really like the looks of that stove next to the hearth, and the use you're making of it. It allows the fireplace to remain an architectural feature. Striking. My opinion, FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.