Blaze King Pegasus 9401

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

overland47

Jan 18, 2012
Olympia, WA
I was given a nice older (1994) Blaze King Pegasus 9401 free standing gas stove the other day and want to install it in my home. It has hardly been used and is in near new condition. I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can help me with.

It's a direct vent unit but had standard snap together stove pipe, a 4" pipe inside of a 6" pipe, NOT pre-fab duravent style pipe. The 4" pipe has tabs spot welded every few feet to keep it centered inside of the 6" pipe. That stuff is all easily obtained, but I'm having trouble finding a chimney cap.

It seems everything is designed for duravent style vent pipe now. Converting the stove to use duravent style pipe doesn't seem like an easy option either because the outer pipe is 6 5/8" and I need 6".

My next question is on converting it from NG to LPG. It has a Robert shaw 7000 series gas valve. I have found an adjustable (2.7 - 11 in wc) regulator for the gas valve and the main burner orifice I need as specified in the manual, but all it says for the pilot is to "replace the pilot NG orifice with an appropriate sized LPG orifice". Now what the heck does that mean?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

LP pilot orifices have a smaller hole in them to restrict the higher pressure of the fuel.
Most have a .011"or a .012" diameter hole...
Natural gas pilot orifices have a larger hole (.018") to allow for more gas (at lower pressure)
to flow to the pilot.
I would suggest you pull the orifice & check with places like this:

https://www.johnstonesupply.com/sto...s/c1027991-c1026844-c1028174-c1026936-p1.html

There are many shapes & sizes to choose from. Find one that looks like it'll work & grab a couple with different sized holes.
You only need 800 to 1000 BTU at the pilot (usually), & the flame is generally only an inch or so in length.
I hope this helps.

That does help, thank you very much.

I expected it to be a specific size orifice for the pilot as it is with the main burner. I can do trial and error though, at least now I have a starting point.

Now I just need to figure out the venting. I know the guys at the HVAC supply here in town so I'm going to stop by there after work and see if they can help

I have all the necessary parts for the NG to LPG conversion ordered and on the way but I'm still having trouble figuring out the venting.

Here are a few pictures of how this stove is set up. I've contacted a Blaze King dealer and they said there was no adapter for simpson duravent made for this stove. Piping is no problem, but I am unsure on how to terminate it and what kind of cap to use. I plan on venting it through the ceiling, but a wall vent will be OK if that's a better option.

Thanks
20151229_063536_resized.jpg
20151229_063714_resized.jpg
20151229_063831_resized.jpg

Hmm. I think I'd try to fabricate an increaser with some sheet metal.
If you can get it rolled to 6-5/8" diameter, the you can try to crimp it to fit the 6"
The Duravent cap will have a 4" exhaust pipe so a straight connection of 4",
the same length as the increaser, should work.
As long as you have a positive seal throughout the exhaust side from the stove
to the external cap, you should be fine. RTV silicone will be your friend for this sealing.
If there are leaks in the intake side, there isn't much to worry about, other than potential cold air drafts...

Status
Not open for further replies.